Author Topic: Possible HIV Vaccine gets the Green Light for Human Testing  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
Possible HIV Vaccine gets the Green Light for Human Testing
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
Care of Canada -  US FDA green lights human testing.

"A vaccine that may prevent HIV has been given the green light by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical trials in humans, according to Canadian researchers.

The announcement was made on the campus of the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.

"We have gone through so many different challenges to come to this point," said Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, a researcher and professor at Western's Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. "This is the first time that I feel very happy and comfortable to initiate this human clinical trial."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/12/20/hiv-vaccine-western.html

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Possible HIV Vaccine gets the Green Light for Human Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
That is some great news! If it works, it looks like it has potential to cure those that have it and prevent those at high risk from getting it. Way to go!

AM Woody

Possible HIV Vaccine gets the Green Light for Human Testing
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
A vaccine would indicate the person doesn't already have the HIV virus.  How would they go about testing something like that?  Why would a person that doesn't already have the HIV virus want to get this vaccine and then expose themselves to the virus in hopes that the vaccine works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
That would be awesome! 

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
This is great news

Offline Bloodpantha

• Did you trip on that? Sorry. Let me tuck that back into my pants.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 8
  • Reach Football, the new Generation of Halo Sports.
    • Deviant to the Heart
  • Children?: 3; 2 girls, 1 boy
  • First Name?: Andre
  • Xbox Gamertag: dcspantha35
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »
This is good news, but I feel the same as Woody in this, why would a person who doesn't have HIV wish to take the risk of contracting it through a clinical test? I understand testing to see if the vaccine works for those whom are afflicted by the disease, by why test it on those who aren't? Isn't more or less looking for trouble? They'll only be using 30 HIV-Positive individuals total through this process, and 6,600 HIV-Negative individuals. I may not know a whole lot about the medical field, but that to me makes very little sense. Shouldn't those numbers honestly be reversed if they are doing trials, or at least an even split at 3,315 of each? I know that the negative individuals chosen will be high risk anyway, but doesn't that just make it even more dangerous? It seems like that would be a risk to put more individuals in danger of contracting HIV. Maybe I'm just over thinking it, but I don't know, something just doesn't seem to quite fit right. I'll have to look more into it and see why I'm having this feeling.
Below is actually a sprite edit of Zero from the Megaman X series from Megaman X4 and beyond. The character I'm creating through the edit is called "Heat".

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:36:05 AM »
Their primary concern right now is to whether or not the vaccine will alter DNA or not.  As far as testing in humans who have HIV you don't have to get people to volunteer to get it.  You go to a place like Africa where there are section in which 1 in 4 will contract it, you give out the vaccine and you watch and wait.

There are certain people that are at higher risk of getting it, to the point that it would be near to a mathematical certainty that within a group of say 6000, 1000 or 1500 would be likely to contract it.  You simply start your testing there. 

As to whether people would be willing?  Say that you've found out you have ALS.  You have a certainty of dying from it in the next 5 to 10 years?  Or how about someone with a loved one that has it,   There are any number of terminal illness cases that could be excellent study groups for it.  And really, what do you have to lose at that point?  But more likely it will be the former.  Go to a third world country, hand out the vaccine and monitor.  IF the first test shows that it can actually reverse HIV infection, holy crap.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »
What you say is very well thought out. But don't different regions have different strains of the same type of viruses and infections? While finding that it would be useful in one set region, it may be pointless in another. Though I do get what you mean though, because if the correct genetic combination can be found in one area to stop it, then it is possible for it to be done in others. Unfortunately, this would fall under trial and error, something I never really like for the lives of people.
Below is actually a sprite edit of Zero from the Megaman X series from Megaman X4 and beyond. The character I'm creating through the edit is called "Heat".

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
Many of these questions can be answered by looking at some other vaccines that were developed and tested. One that comes to mind was huge; Polio. Polio killed and maimed thousands before the vaccine came out and now it is nearly wiped out, though it has made a comeback in many third world countries.

I had a coach in middle school that had polio as a child when the vaccine first came out. He was vaccinated even though he already was infected and it arrested the development of the polio.

This is a huge step and should not be belittled because of fear of it not working. More it should be applauded for the sheer hope and potential that it will work. A working vaccine has helped those that had it, like the polio vaccine, so that is a positive hopeful outcome. Even if it does not help those that have it already just imagine how it would effect their lives if their families are inoculated. The fear of infecting them would be removed and quality of life would explode upwards. Discrimination would fall because fear would decrease.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
I get your point and I'm not really trying to belittle the effort that was put into producing the vaccine. But I do remember a lot of the horror stories of people who took the H1N1 vaccine that had so many negative affects. Thinking of the child baseball prodigy that lost pretty lost all of his physical strength. Or the woman who's motor skills became dysfunctional and she could only walk or run backward. I guess for me I'd rather know that if people are going to be taking this vaccine that it won't harm them even more than not having it. I'd love for HIV to be wiped out and people not have to worry about it, I wish though that there was a way to guarantee it to work before people had to test it. But the world can't always be rainbows and sunshine right?

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
True, unless you are a my little pony! ~o)

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution