Author Topic: What Makes a Dad want to be a Stay At Home Dad?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
What Makes a Dad want to be a Stay At Home Dad?
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
What makes a dad want to be a stay at home dad

Could it be he has a physical disability that doesn't allow him to work, wife make more money with her job, or just the fact that he wants to be the one to stay with the children?

In all honesty, it's all the above and more.  Most stay at home dads decided to be a SAHD for a short period of time either because they lost their job or because childcare just costs too much money.  A lot of those SAHD's decided to keep doing what they do because they love it!  I am very adamant about a parent staying home because I think it's very important that the children have a parent that they can reach at any time during the day or night and having a stay at home parent helps with this plus it helps keep the family closer and in today's world, that is VERY important.

In some cases a dad might be the more patient and understanding parent so therefore the dad might want to be the stay at home parent.  Some circumstances just work out better. 

There are many reasons why dads become stay at home dads.  Only just a few were listed here, but I would like to hear more reasons.   So if your a stay at home dad, please tell us why you became/decided to become a SAHD.   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

GirouxZone

Re: What Makes a Dad want to be a Stay At Home Dad?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
My wife and I had put our daughter in daycare for her first four months, and continued working. But, we always felt guilty leaving her there all day. Finally, some other kid that was supposed to be separated from the infants clocked her in the head with a block while she was minding her own business in a bouncy seat. Now, I know stuff happens at daycare, but knowing my wife made enough money to allow me to stay home with the baby, I just got to feeling too guilty to keep working. So, the next day I let the office know I'd be leaving for my new role, which I love, even if it's non-traditional.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
even if it's non-traditional.

It might be non-traditional right now, but believe me....it's changing and I believe it will continue to keep changing.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »

It might be non-traditional right now, but believe me....it's changing and I believe it will continue to keep changing.

Amen to that my friend. As you know I am all for dads getting more involved with the rearing of their children.

GirouxZone

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

I hear that! My life personally has drastically changed, as does societal views of my role. Rather than entering into the rat race of office life every day, I find myself finding all kinds of things to do with my daughter instead, and finding other ways to make money. This site has been a great introduction to work-at-home income, for example.

shaun

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
I think the social stigma surrounding stay at home Dad's is gradually dissipating. Men who stay at home and look after their children should be celebrated, not questioned. I would seriously consider being a stay at home Dad if I had the option.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:39:22 PM »
I think the social stigma surrounding stay at home Dad's is gradually dissipating. Men who stay at home and look after their children should be celebrated, not questioned.

I agree. The only one's who give me a hard time are family. Mine thinks I'm lazy and my wife's think I'm a deadbeat.

Most everyone else has no problem with it. In my wife's industry, pharmaceutical research, it's actually very common. Ninety percent of her female coworkers who have kids have husbands who are SAHDs.

I do get funny reactions ever now and then, though. Last Sunday, as we were dropping of my daughter at her class before heading into church, her Sunday school teacher pulled me asied in the hallway. Apparently, she had just found out I was a SAHD and she wanted to make sure I knew she was fine with that and that there was nothing wrong with it at all. She actually said taking care of children didn't reduce a man's masculinity one single bit! Her enthusiasm and the way she put it made it hard not to laugh. Kind of reminded me of how people talked after the sensitivity training back in the navy!

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution