Author Topic: Suggestions:  (Read 1442 times)

GirouxZone

Suggestions:
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
Hello All,

Just my suggestion for a more active forum: Off-topic forums.

In my previous life as a working Dad, I have to admit, I spent too much time on the internet at a Philadelphia Flyers website that my buddy runs. While we always were obsessed with hockey, and had plenty to say about it, the lifeblood of the forum was the off-topic forums, where people would BS about any topic from everyday life to politics, etc. I and many of my compadres over there became great friends over time, and shared many many experiences, all the way from mundane stuff to our experiences live during 9/11. It's become a community. IMO, the sure way to increase traffic has always been to tie regular life into an interest. In the case of my buddy's site, it was hockey. In this case, it's Dad stuff.

Food for thought.

GirouxZone

Re: Suggestions:
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
P.S. - I looked through the forums and saw that there were indeed topics such as sports and that sort of thing. I guess my suggestion would be from the same hockey forum I posted on - they had a "Members Lounge", where basically any topic was fair game. They went as far as any language being fair game, i.e. you could use basically any swear word you want without consequence. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but I'm just sayin' it brings people back, eh? Basically, the idea was not to narrow down into a few topics, but to leave the whole "Member's Lounge" open to ALL topics.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
We do have an off-topic section. It's the "Anything Allowed" section here. It's true there are many things to talk about besides being a dad and we try to have a place for that here too. This is also a place just to hang out and be friends.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions GirouxZone.  We have many of the areas that you are mentioning in our "Anything Dad Related" section of boards.   I could rename that section so new members might know more of what to expect there.    Thanks!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.