Author Topic: Evolution of Stay At Home Dads  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Evolution of Stay At Home Dads
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
In nowadays society the role of the male has changed a lot, especially in the last 20 years. This change is more pronounced in more developed countries, where traditional rules don’t apply anymore or are becoming useless.

The classic role of the male in a family is pretty simple; the man should be the main provider, while the women should take care of the house and kids. This is why society, even now, has some sort of prejudice when it comes to stay at home dads. This happens because most of us were essentially raised by our mothers; dads usually played a minor role when it comes to household business and even our education.  Men also have lesser rights when it comes to custody disputes, judges favoring mothers almost every time, ignoring the fact that the father may be a much suitable parent for the kids.

Most people imagine that kids left in the care of men will end up playing a lot of video games, watching a lot of TV and doing what they want in the big picture, because men tend to be more ignorant and superficial when it comes to family and taking care of kids. Although this is true in some cases, this does not apply to all men. If you think about it, there are many bad moms out there, watching soap operas all day long and ignoring their kids, so it’s better not to generalize and give everybody the benefit of the doubt.

Stay at home dads may choose this for a lot of reasons, some of them are single, others may be divorced, while some want to just help their spouse with school or their career. It’s important to always remember that most of them choose to stay at home for their kids and maybe this is the main reason for doing this, they want to be close to their kids at all times, providing them with everything they need while taking care of them and providing a good education.

Stay at home dads may even provide better education to their kids than a stay at home mom. This is because men are more direct with kids, they tend to spoil kids a lot less then moms but they also provide more fun activities involving a lot more energy then moms. The only chapters were dads may bring less to the table then moms would be eating habits. Men generally eat somewhat unhealthy but I doubt they will attach such eating disorders to their own kids, this is why it is important to never forget that kids need a steady healthy diet.

Over all stay at home dads may have it harder then moms when they decide to stay at home and raise their kids, they are basically a minority who was always told that the role of a man is completely different from what they are currently doing. This is why they need encouragement from all family members and maybe join a support group or internet forum for single dads where they can exchange ideas and help each other out. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:35:04 AM by Keith »

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

The Oxcart

Re: Evolution of Stay At Home Dads
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
I miss being a SAHD sooooo much. Those were the absolute best two years of my life; I look at it as a badge of honor. It's nice to be back in school again, but I also had to get a job so I'm gone, literally, all day. It makes me really treasure the time I get with my girls. And I can't say it's not heartwarming to get rushed at the door when I come home. I know they haven't forgotten/lost interest in me, but damn I miss them.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution