Author Topic: Dreams of an OCS applicant  (Read 1759 times)

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
  • Liked: 10
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Brian
  • Xbox Gamertag: itsallbs
Dreams of an OCS applicant
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
Hey all I hope this post is in the right place.  From what little knowledge I have from my recruiter the March Intel Boards are coming up for the New York NRD.  I've taken the OAR portion of the ASTB cold and scored "not bad" but not great (60 is the new expectation.)  I'm currently 29 and employed at a great place however, I would like to go in another direction namely the armed forces and I feel that the Navy identifies with me the most.  I definitely have to hunker down and study so any advice or motivational stuff is more than welcome.

P.S. I was originally going for Supply Officer as I have a Bachelor's of Science in Business Management & Finance, however I understand that I'm supposed to have completed OCS by 29 which is impossible now.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Dreams of an OCS applicant
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
Wish I could help with the OCS questions, but I was an enlisted guy with no degree so I never really looked hard into it. I was in the Navy and went through the Nuclear Power Program in the late '80s/early '90s.

I will say this though. Do not join un-designated. Find a job you like and make sure you start on that path. Don't believe the recruiter if he tells you well that rating is not open now, but you can join with this rating and then cross over when the other opens. It's not that easy. Take your time and make sure you are getting what you want. The recruiter is there to get you in and will want to do it right now! As the civilian you are in control and it is 100% different once you swear in. I'm not saying it is a bad thing in the least I am just saying be sure you get what you want before you take the commit. The military is great for a lot of people and was great for me. If you really want to do a particular job, then ask the recruiter what you need to do to get it. I had to jump through some hoops to become a nuke and it took me a year before I signed the papers and swore in, but I am glad I did that I had a good time, I got high quality training, and after I got out I had something I could use in the civilian world.

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
Hi John thanks for your reply.  Any information or advice is always welcome.  That sounds like some sound advice.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
I went through OCS 6 years ago Brian and it was a great experience.  I am currently still in and loving it.  As far as the age question, there are waivers that are available for your age.  With that though, they are placing more in OCS than there is room for, and weeding out those that underperform or are not at the top of the class.  John is right when he says that you are in control as a civilian and that recruiters are going to try and do what is best for them, HOWEVER with the Army getting rear to shrink, we are getting ready to put out good Soldiers because we will not have room for them.  This may make the waiver a little harder, however
 if the rest of your pact is solid and you are physically fit, you should have no issues.

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the information.  I'm looking at the upcoming August boards wish me luck!

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:07 PM »
Good luck Brian.  Life is great as an officer.  What branch are you trying for?

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
good luck!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere