Author Topic: Depression and raising kids  (Read 2824 times)

Heimdallt

Depression and raising kids
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
I have been battling depression for 2 years. Doing all the classes and groups I can do so it does not effect my fathering but it is hard.

I have number of major stresses such as bankruptcy, lack of my family my parents and brothers and sisters do not communicate with me. My wife's family is very destructive and highly uneducated. My wife after the last child has been showing signs of OCD and a personality disorder. Which makes me feel horrible and she will lose it at any point.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar paths in life, or has any help

It's not how we fall which defines us but how we rise after falling

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Depression and raising kids
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
Sorry to hear all of that man.    Life is rough now-a-days.   I have kids with ADHD and OCD.   It is very tough handling this.  Some good in it though is that it doesn't happen everyday.   There are some good days.

Really the only true piece of advice I can give you is to talk to your doctor and see if your wife will do the same.  There are some great meds out there that can help.   The problem is just finding the right one that works for you.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Heimdallt

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Sorry to hear all of that man.    Life is rough now-a-days.   I have kids with ADHD and OCD.   It is very tough handling this.  Some good in it though is that it doesn't happen everyday.   There are some good days.

Really the only true piece of advice I can give you is to talk to your doctor and see if your wife will do the same.  There are some great meds out there that can help.   The problem is just finding the right one that works for you.

I have tried getting my wife o get checked but I think she won't go because if she does get diagnosed then she knows she has a problem, but of she does not. Then she has no problems.

It's hard

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:55 AM »
I understand where your at then.   I guess I would just keep talking to her about it.  She is probably gonna get mad, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
Does she realize when she's doing something different? I can understand the denial but she must notice herself doing things others don't

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Heimdallt

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
Does she realize when she's doing something different? I can understand the denial but she must notice herself doing things others don't

Oh she does and she will admit it at that time. We will schedule in appointment for her but once she snaps back it's "I'm not going it's you who is f^cked up"

I makes it impossible to do anything,

Somedays are better then others. It has been less common out bursts but now when it happens she will punch me, kick me and threaten me.

It has had a lasting problem with anxiety and nerves or me

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
I know someone who has/is going through the same thing.  Somehow you need to get her to understand that person is not the person that you fell in love with and married.  There's no shame in taking some meds to restore her old self.  The way it was explained to me is that it's a chemical imbalance.  Most people are able to produce whatever chemical it is to get past that.  She needs a little help.  Once she gets re-balanced then she won't need the meds anymore

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »

I know someone who has/is going through the same thing.  Somehow you need to get her to understand that person is not the person that you fell in love with and married.  There's no shame in taking some meds to restore her old self.  The way it was explained to me is that it's a chemical imbalance.  Most people are able to produce whatever chemical it is to get past that.  She needs a little help.  Once she gets re-balanced then she won't need the meds anymore

:plus1:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution