Author Topic: Dads that smoke  (Read 3048 times)

Dads that smoke
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Just wondering how SAHD deal with it.

I've smoked for 10yrs and have quit by using ecigarettes, but sometimes when I feel stressed I find myself wanting the real deal but I feel bad for doing so with a 9mo old. I do NOT smoke in the house and my wife doesn't smoke. If/when I cave it's when my daughter is down for a nap, I sneak out to the porch and have one.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Dads that smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
I smoke and have smoked for 15 years.   Just like you, I don't smoke in the house at all.   It's always outside.  I quit once for 3 weeks, but started again.    All of my kids tell me smoking is bad so they know it is, which is a good thing.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Dads that smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
Last year I quit for 4 months at the end of the year, then went through a lot of family drama and started back up. I grew up my whole life knowing smoking was bad and told my dad so...I didn't care. Haha

Offline Morpheus

• My 4 princesses
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
I guess I am what you would call a closet smoker... My wife knows that I smoke and I have told her on many occassions that I will not smoke anymore but it just seems like that I keep going back.... I started when I joined the corp and just have never given it up since..... The most I smoke is when on the job.... Maybe if I found something a little less stressful to do I would smoke anymore ....... than again ....... :gaah:

Dads that smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
That's how I am right now, a closet smoker. My wife knows I have my ecig and started using it, knows that I have smoked a regular cig just not that I've continued to do it.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
I went through the same thing.  Smoked for 10 years before cutting way back and eventually quitting.  I still smoke cigars now and then (traded lung cancer for mouth cancer  :laugh2:)

My daughter used to tell her mother I smoked drugs...took some explaining to both of them that cigars aren't drugs.  Kid doesn't like it, but since it's somewhat rare, she shrugs it off.

Like others, I don't smoke in the house.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
While I'm not a smoker, maybe I can provide a little motivation for those trying to quit. In 2000 or so, I got a severe hockey injury in which my wrist and hand were basically completely dislocated and relocated about half way up my arm. Tore all kinds of tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. When the surgeon got done putting it all together, I asked him how long it would be till I could be close to normal. First thing he asked me was "Are you a smoker?" I said no. He said "Good, because if you were, I can assure you my answer would have doubled the time for recovery from 4 months to about 8.". Smoking apparently would have limited the blood flow so badly that it would have taken an enormous amount of time for all the little blood vessels to re-path themselves. As it was, the recovery was miserable and painful enough that I can't imagine what it would have been like had I smoked.

Anyway, not trying to dog smokers, because we all have some kind of vice and quitting them is very hard! Just trying to help.

Offline iDad

• Make my day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 6
  • Helping Dads,all over the www.
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Norm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »
I QUIT cold turkey many many years ago, just stopped never had one again, but it's funny sometimes  the urge  still hits me........
Best thing I did was stop. I was able to taste  food a smell again. .....
that's all i got to say about that  :S

Offline MindBender

• Da SingleDaddy
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »
all this talk from grown men about closets...  I'm starting to get worried a little..  <----  haha

*pumps up his "Nike Homophobe Airs" just a little in case he has to make a get away.."

I'm a smoker and I smoke at 4:20 everyday..  oh you mean tobacco?  Looks like I just outed myself on that one.  I smoke cigs as well and with the help of the electronic cig i got, I have almost stopped the traditional cigs.  I've using the electronic cig for 4 months for the majority of my smoking and smoke 3 or 4 traditional cigs.   

Offline Magoo

• I bought my keyboard from an online discount house. I guess it was cheap because it was missing the "H"
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
 :banghead: had this convon on here somewhere before,i smoked both cigs and herbal for 25 yrs,gave up the herbal about 7 yrs ago and never looked back,gave up cigs for 2 yrs effortlessly(well had patches the size of wagon wheels 24/7 lol),but gave up nevertheless,but after a few personal issues started again,gonna give up again when i get settled,good luck to all those who try

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Gave up cold turkey, just over a week ago (again). I tend to quit for a long while and then randomly start back up...usually less random than stress induced. As far as how my wife I and deal with it, we don't hide it from him but we don't promote it either. We only smoke outside of the house (front or back porch) and if she smoke's in the car, she cracks her window and keeps the cigarette right next to the opening, to make sure the smoke goes straight out. It's not perfect but it seems to work for us.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
I quit 5 years ago, inspired by the birth of my son. I didn't smoke a lot, I smoked around 5 roll ups a day. The first week was very difficult and stressful, the second week was easier, and after that it was down to will power.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution