Author Topic: Should I Take Vitamins? Which kind?  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Should I Take Vitamins? Which kind?
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
As I talked about in another thread, I wanted to start a thread up just about this.

My elbows, back and legs hurt most of the time.  I just turned 39 and I feel that I'm pretty active.  I have 3 kids and I'm on the go a lot.  I'm not actually over weight, I'm 6 foot tall and weight 195 lbs.   I'm on blood pressure meds (don't know if that causes it or not).  I also use a CPAP machine to help me rest better at night.

My question to you dads is this.   What vitamins should I take?  Should I also take fish oil?  What would be beneficial to me to help me feel better and to keep my joints from hurting.  I would like to have more energy and sleep better as well.

Any suggestions?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Should I Take Vitamins? Which kind?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Ok, vitamins are great and highly recommend them, but won't likely help your legs and back feel better.  Proper hydration might. For an adult male, I think the recommendation is to be drinking approx 13 glasses of water per day. Think of your body like a car and the water is the oil and grease. You need to keep hydrated to keep everything properly lubricated (for the lack of a better word).

As for vitamins, great idea. You should try a general multi-vitamin (just not a compressed tablet like Centrum, Theragram...etc...  since they don't break down enough in your body before coming out the other end). D3 is great. Niacin (either 500mg or 1000mg) is good for heart health and lowering cholesterol, just find a "flush free" version. Fish oil is a great. It personally doesn't agree with me, but I wish it did since it provide great benefit.

Finally, in regards to the back, knee, elbow... pain, how long has that gone on? Do you have a history of arthritis in your family? Have you talked to your doctor about this?  Does it respond to anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen? What types of drinks are you ingesting during the day and how much and how often for each?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:03:48 AM by Frobozz »

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
I take a daily vitamin every day.  I swear it helps.  When I don't I tend to be sicker.  I also take fish oil supplements every day.  I also think they help especially with the running.  My joints don't hurt like they used to

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
Finally, in regards to the back, knee, elbow... pain, how long has that gone on? Do you have a history of arthritis in your family? Have you talked to your doctor about this?  Does it respond to anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen? What types of drinks are you ingesting during the day and how much and how often for each?

No history of arthritis in my family that I know of.  I have probably just worked too hard in my life.   LOL

As for drinks, I drink several cups of coffee per day now, probably on average 3 to 4 cups.  I just started drinking coffee like this about 2 months ago.  I do drink some sodas as well, about 2 20 oz. a day now.  Down from around 5 about a year ago.   I don't drink too much plain water, actually probably not even 2 or 3 cups a day.

So, I guess I need to start drinking more water....I can do that.   What kind of vitamin do you reccomend?  Give me the brand name and then I will look at the different versions they offer.

I take a daily vitamin every day.  I swear it helps.  When I don't I tend to be sicker.  I also take fish oil supplements every day.  I also think they help especially with the running.  My joints don't hurt like they used to

What brand name of vitamin do you take Randy?

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
Coffee is like alcohol it doesn't replenish your water.  Usually makes you pee more.
I have no idea.  Any over the counter daily vitamin for men I think it fine

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »
Coffee is like alcohol it doesn't replenish your water.  Usually makes you pee more.
I have no idea.  Any over the counter daily vitamin for men I think it fine

I do pee a lot more while drinking coffee.   But my urologist wants me to pee more because of all of my kidney stones.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
Coffee and hydration and it's diuretic effect:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

In regards to a multivitatin, look for a one-a-day (unless you think you can commit to a two-a-day and keep to that schedule). You want one that DOES NOT have iron, unless you know yourself to be anemic. You also one that is in capsule, NOT TABLET form. The capsules will easily break open in your stomach, whereas the hardened tablets have to be dissolved slowly and mostly often pass out of your system mostly in-tact.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
So I've been lied to all these years!  In any case water is always best to drink

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
Drink water?? But fish f*ck in it!  ~o)

Sorry couldn't resist. I agree water is important and I do feel better when I keep hydrated.

I haven't tried them yet myself, but my mom swears by Chondroitin sulfate and Glucosamine sulfate.

Here's what I found online and it matches what my mom has told me.

Glucosamine is found naturally in the body's joint cartilage and helps keep it lubricated and healthy. The supplements are derived from shells of shell fish. It's supposed to slow down the deterioration of cartilage and help relieve joint pain.

Chondroitin is also found naturally in cartilage and bone. Chrondroitin sulfate supplements are derived from cow trachea or pork byproducts. Chondroitin is said to reduce joint pain and inflammation, improve joint function, and slow progression of osteoarthritis.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!    If you can think of anything else that would be helpful, please let me know.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
Actually, if you're going to take condroitin, take it mixed with glucosamine (it is sold that way). However, a 2006 study showed mixed results in taking it. For those with moderate-severe knee pain, there was a noticeable improvement in their pain. But for those with mild pain, c&g showed no greater pain relief than those in the placebo group. My doctor recommended that I try c&g for a few months to see if I saw any improvement. I did not, so I discontinued it after 3 months. Give it a shot, it won't hurt to try.

Link to 2006 study: http://www.arthritis.org/media/newsroom/statements/GAIT_Statement_FINAL_2_21_06.pdf

Gobigorgohome14

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Like a lot of the fellow dad's said vitamins are really good for you. In my opinion though if you have the money, it would be better to get most of your vitamin needs from fruit, and veggies. Most vitamins have a surplus amount of ingredients in them and if taken to often can be harmful, and hard on your kidneys and urinal tract. Most vitamins, minerals, and proteins that are not useful or digested by the stomach go straight to your urine, and unless you want some problems take it easy with the vitamins.

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
Should I Take Vitamins? Which kind?
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
I like the ones from QVC. I know it sounds silly though.

They're called Nature's code, and there are four formulations of it. Two each for men and women. One is for if you're over 50, the other is for if you're under 50. There are six or seven pills, but they're all in individual packets, so you only have to grab one packet per day, and it's got all of that day's stuff in it.

I also take their fish oil pills. I like theirs because the pills smell like piña coladas, not anchovies, and don't leave me with nasty breath.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
I take a gaggle of vitamins and other meds throughout the day to deal with several conditions. I had thyroid cancer, resulting in total loss of my thyroid and parathyroids. I have an edge in my wife, who manages pharmaceutical clinical trials (specializing in oncology), and several really great docs.

As for brand, I stick to Nature Made, simply because of their quality control. But, I agree that vitamins don't do much for joint pain.

I hate to mention it, since some folks get REAL touchy, but, the pains you mention could be caused by low testosterone. About a year after recovery, my back, knees, ankles, hands - well, shoot, pretty much everything actually - were aching so bad I couldn't deny it anymore. At my next physical, I mentioned it to the doc and when he did the labs, he told me my testosterone levels had bottomed out. The thyroid and calcium problems, coupled with my age, were the culprits. Now my wife gives me a shot every other week and I feel better than ever.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.   I am doing my best to drink more water and I'm still investigating what vitamins to take.   Once I find one that I like I will post it here.   

I won't be offended Douglas.  Actually, I have thought that exact thing myself.  My sex drive has lowered as well.    That's what got me thinking about low testosterone.   I will have to look into that and see what I can do.   

Thanks guys!

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution