Author Topic: More Evidence Favoring Shorter Stride  (Read 1237 times)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
More Evidence Favoring Shorter Stride
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/04/14/more-evidence-favoring-shorter-stride/?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-887032-_-04242012-_-A-Shorter-Stride%3F

By Amby Burfoot

A new study from Japan's Waseda University adds to the growing evidence that a slightly shorter running stride is better than a longer one. The Japanese study found that, when runners increased their stride frequency by about 18 percent, while holding their pace at a steady 10:45 per mile, they registered lower loading rates and impact forces. Conclusion: A shorter stride "may be practical in reducing the risk of developing a tibial stress fracture by decreasing lower extremity loading variables."

In March, researchers from the University of Wisconsin published a paper reporting similar results. They suggested that the shorter stride could help runners who have problems with knee pain.

Lower impact forces could also make you a more efficient, faster runner, at least in distance racing. Norwegian researchers found last year that impact forces were inversely associated with running economy at 3,000-meter race pace. That is, the harder you hit the ground--due to a bouncy stride, or to overstriding--the lower your running economy. Running economy is believed to be one of the strongest factors behind distance-racing success.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: More Evidence Favoring Shorter Stride
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
Thanks for posting Randy.  Some great info.  I just picked up some UnderArmour glide shoes today, hopefully they will help make my stride shorter.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
Re: More Evidence Favoring Shorter Stride
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »
Makes sense, a long stride never seemed natural to me...

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution