Author Topic: "Shape up or ship out"  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
"Shape up or ship out"
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
"Shape up or ship out"

These aren't the EXACT words my unit told me after my most recent height and weight check (which I completely forgot was coming up). No, they used lots of letters and numbers for regulations, body fat percentages, etc. However, the general message was very clear..."You are 3% over your MAX body fat percentage allowed. You need to lose 3-8 pounds per month to stay in good standing and you have 6 months to come off of the program before you lose rank (I've been an E-5 Sergeant for over 5 years and the only direction I would like to go is UP). If you do not come off of the program after 12 months, you will be immediately discharged." Now for clarification, I'm not active duty military but my livelihood does depend on my membership in the National Guard. Without going into a long explanation, suffice to say, I work FOR the National Guard and my membership is one of the requirements to maintain this career (which I've had for almost 10 years).

Starting last Monday, May 21st, I started using the "Lose It" app on my phone. It's one of those calorie counting apps that allows me to keep track of everything I eat. One of the cool features is that it will scan most bar-codes. Anyways, this is not a sales pitch for a free app...just what I'm doing. Right now, I'm limited to 1848 calories per day (with a goal of 2 lbs lost per week) and it gives back what I burn off in exercise. I think it undercuts me on exercise (just slightly) but I figure that only works in my favor. I try to stay within about 25 calories of the limit, as to not send my body into starvation mode (AKA fat storing mode). Yesterday was the first time in 8 days that I've gone over (over by 56 calories) but that's only because I forgot to do my pushups, counted them ahead of time, and rewarded myself with a beer! haha. Taught me a good lesson, no rewards until they are earned.

As far as the exercising goes, I'm going with some old favorites: I've started over on the hundred pushups program, started over on the two-hundred situps program, and I'm trying to get back into a normal routine of running (about 3 days a week, ex. MWF). On top of that, I'm walking every day, somewhere between one to two miles.

So far it seems to be working...I lost 3 lbs between Saturday, May 19th, and Saturday, May 26th....My goal is to be OFF of this stinking program by the end of June (that's when our 2 week summer training ends).

Also, I should add, my wife is being very helpful and supportive during all of this. She makes sure that I stay on top of my calorie count and that I don't try to find excuses to "cheat" or deviate from the program. Also, she's trying to cook healthier, which is good for the whole family.

http://www.loseit.com
http://www.hundredpushups.com

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: "Shape up or ship out"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
Good luck Jessie. I'm sure with the attitude that you have, you'll be back to target weight quickly.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
Good luck Jessie!  You can do it!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »
Tonight, my wife suggested I run the 0.25 miles to pick up the mail and then walk back. I decided to go the long way, run 1.5 miles and then walk 0.25 miles back.  ~o)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Nice!

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
UPDATE

This past week: 20120527-20120602
Walked, 6.39M
Run, 3.55M
Push-Ups, 272
Sit-Ups, 495

Weight: 217 (Loss of 4 lbs this week)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:03:48 PM by Jessie »

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
That's great Jessie!    I have one suggestion.  it helped me lose 10 lbs in a little over a month.   If you drink sodas at all, try getting the Mio water flavoring.  I love the stuff and I drink water with it.   There is no calories in it.    Try it out.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
Keith,
Right now I'm drinking 1-2 Cherry Coke Zero's a day. I've heard of Mio and I'm willing to try it if I find it at a good price but the bottle I saw at the gas station was $3... Too rich for my blood. LOL

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
"Shape up or ship out"
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »
Yeah. They are $3, but they will last awhile. You don't put much into the water at all. One if those bottles will last me over a week. Plus you can take it with you and refill your water almost anywhere for free. Also, you can flavor your water so it tastes just like flavored water OR put more in it to where it tastes like kook-aid.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »
good luck Jessie.  you are making good progress, keep up the good work!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
I use that Mio, You can buy it in concentrate in the supermarket for like $3.  I mix it everyday with water. 3 squirts into 20 ozs of water.  One bottle lasts a couple of weeks.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »
i have tried Mio once o twice, i think i still have some around here, but the flavor i tried was not the greatest, i might have to try another favor.  Definitely a good alternative to soda, which i do not drink that much of anyways.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution