Author Topic: Help with toothbrushing  (Read 2847 times)

fatt_tony_13

Help with toothbrushing
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
So my daughter is 15 months and has a mouthful of teeth. The other day I noticed that they were looking dirty and that she has bad breath. My wife bought her a toothbrush and some toothpaste. Now we just need to figure out the best way to teach her to brush her teeth. Anyone have suggestions or tricks that have worked for you with your kids?

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: Help with toothbrushing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
With our kids we just got time t make certain sounds while we were brushing their teeth.  If you do them with them they will treat it like a game... For example "say ahhhhh" and keep doing it with them which will allow you to to the bite service, "say cheese" will allow you to get the face side of the teeth.  It's all about making it FUN for them

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »
Thank you, I didnt think to have her make sounds. I was trying to show her by brushing my teeth. I will try your method tomorrow. Today was the 1st day of toothbrushing.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Help with toothbrushing
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »
My son is 3 and we still do the teeth brushing for him, just have him make sounds... My daughter is 5, and she just started brushing her own teeth a few months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mjmac

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »
The 'Ahhh' and 'Cheeeese' method is great.  My wife gave me the tooth brushing milestone as a way to say i know you sometimes miss "firsts" with the kids being at work (since she's a SAHM)...however, i think it was also an attempt to see me go down in flames and receive an 'Aww...honey, nice try"  and i have to say...she was quite shocked.  I had my son brushing his teeth on his own by 3 and my daughter is 2 1/2 and has been brushing her teeth every night on her own.  "Give it up for Daddy's!!"   :righton:

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »
I tried the ahh and cheese, but shes not getting it yet. Right now she opens her mouth like the toothbrush is food. While she has her mouth open I brush for as long as I can. We do this probably 2 times on top and bottom and then she starts getting upset. The good news is her teeth are whitening up.

mjmac

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »
LOL  @ Tony, forgot to mention my blunder until you mentioned food.  About 2 weeks into our new routine..i found my son eating half a tube of 'ok to swallow' toothpaste.  She'll get it...it did take a number of weeks and I still have to patrol my daughter since the My Little Pony toothpaste smells like bubblegum.

GirouxZone

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Looks like you all have the brushing part down. Just wanted to chime in that you can get a toddler to floss as well. In the grocery store personal items section you can find disposable flossers that are basically a small string of floss on a plastic piece. I discovered those when I had a serious hockey injury a while back and could only use one hand for 6 months. They have some for kids in kid-friendly neon colors and animal shapes. My daughter is 4 and she's been brushing and flossing for 2 years now with those. Good to have the habits formed early.

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
The thought of trying to get either of my kids to floss (ages 3 and 1) scares the crap out of me.  Neither of them really enjoys having their teeth brushed.  Both of them like to eat the toothpaste off of the brush.  My son in particular will take the toothbrush, bite down on it with his front teeth, and suck all of the toothpaste off of it.

I have a little more success with them than my wife does (especially with getting them to say "ahhhh").  Neither of us has any luck with the "cheese" for the front teeth.

I look forward to when they can use adult toothpaste and I don't have to fight them on it, because to be honest, they have some serious "death breath" sometimes.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution