Author Topic: Taking my boys (both 11) camping/fishing/trail hiking  (Read 2289 times)

fatt_tony_13

Taking my boys (both 11) camping/fishing/trail hiking
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
So like the title says Im planning to take my boys camping for a weekend. We will be camping at a primitive site, but the place does have showers. (Friday - Sunday) We are probably gonna do a bit of hiking and also some fishing. My question is, what type of things do I need to take?

Heres my list so far:

Camping
Tents, sleeping bags, extra blankets, cooler, hammer, folding knife, small hatchet, lanterns, first aid kit, tp, food, plenty of water, matches, and firewood.

Fishing
Poles, tackle box, bait

Of course we are bringing food and snacks, water bottles for our short hiking trips. I imagine Ill take a deck of cards and a couple other things to keep us entertained for the day as well. I just feel like Im missing something. Any help here or do I seem to have it all?

wes

Re: Taking my boys (both 11) camping/fishing/trail hiking
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »
Seems like you got all the necessities.  I wish I was going camping this weekend.  Hope you guys have some fun and catch some fish.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
We're heading out camping this weekedn also.  but we have a pop up camper.  Don't forget the s'mores fixins!
How about your swimsuits?  You're by a lake might as well do some swimming too.
Otherwise you seem to have it covered!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
We go camping quite a bit too.   I think we are done for the year though and probably have to sell our camper because we are pregnant again and this will be our 4th child.  That makes our camper too small. 

The only thing I would add to the list is some card games and stuff like that.  My kids and I love playing UNO when we are camping.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
We go camping quite a bit too.   I think we are done for the year though and probably have to sell our camper because we are pregnant again and this will be our 4th child.  That makes our camper too small. 

The only thing I would add to the list is some card games and stuff like that.  My kids and I love playing UNO when we are camping.

Its not really camping if you use a camper. LoL

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
I hear that quite a bit, but it does make it a lot more enjoyable.  LOL  Nothing beats having a microwave and a tv to make those dark nights less.....dark.   LOL

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

wes

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
Haha.

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
I hear that quite a bit, but it does make it a lot more enjoyable.  LOL  Nothing beats having a microwave and a tv to make those dark nights less.....dark.   LOL

I think if we had a camper Mom and sister would want to come along. Which kinda defeats the purpose. LoL

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »
Now I see your point Tony.   LOL    You should've put that in your first post.    LOL

Dem Ravens

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:50:19 AM »
Looks good, few things I would add, map of area, sun tan cream, insect replent, antihistamine tabs aftersun, , waterproof lighter/waterproof matchs as separte set and some firelighters. Pliers with snips as part for first aid of hooks depending on your confidence, also cling film in first aid kit as very useful for burns.  Masking tape is also normally in my kit because you can fix almost anything with that.

Now I do normally go a bit out in the boonsticks so this bit might a little/majorly over the top for what your planning but I work on the plan for the worst, hope the best and your'll land somewere within expectations.

Compus(I never go anywere outdoors without one but I also carry a spare),Water purifcation tablets, condoms ( No not for that... with no spermicide these are great water carriers, if you split your water bottle can put one of these inside and still have your water carrier also if fishing and cooking each condom allows you to take 2 liter of water so if you get a burn and dont want to get in the water you can still get plenty without effect your drinking supply, also works ok inside a sock if your bottle is simply not salvageable).  Good multitool, folding knife are good but I would prefere my gerber and a fixed blade(but then I also carry a wire saw).  Tampons(great fire starters once teased open, light small to carry), flint and steal for fire starting and works when wet...........emergancy rations.

Hum like i said maybe a little over the top in the second list.

Enjoy and have fun.

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »
Looks good, few things I would add, map of area, sun tan cream, insect replent, antihistamine tabs aftersun, , waterproof lighter/waterproof matchs as separte set and some firelighters. Pliers with snips as part for first aid of hooks depending on your confidence, also cling film in first aid kit as very useful for burns.  Masking tape is also normally in my kit because you can fix almost anything with that.

Now I do normally go a bit out in the boonsticks so this bit might a little/majorly over the top for what your planning but I work on the plan for the worst, hope the best and your'll land somewere within expectations.

Compus(I never go anywere outdoors without one but I also carry a spare),Water purifcation tablets, condoms ( No not for that... with no spermicide these are great water carriers, if you split your water bottle can put one of these inside and still have your water carrier also if fishing and cooking each condom allows you to take 2 liter of water so if you get a burn and dont want to get in the water you can still get plenty without effect your drinking supply, also works ok inside a sock if your bottle is simply not salvageable).  Good multitool, folding knife are good but I would prefere my gerber and a fixed blade(but then I also carry a wire saw).  Tampons(great fire starters once teased open, light small to carry), flint and steal for fire starting and works when wet...........emergancy rations.

Hum like i said maybe a little over the top in the second list.

Enjoy and have fun.

We are going to a campground that has primitive sites. There are restrooms, showers, and fresh water within walking distance. Though I would consider a Gerber or other multi-tool.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution