Author Topic: Computer help!!  (Read 2701 times)

fatt_tony_13

Computer help!!
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
Well my computer has decided to stop working on me, I wonder if anyone here has computer building or computer repair knowledge.

When my computer is plugged in and the power supply switch is on all the fans run, the disc drives open, and the hard drive spins. I doesn't seen like the hard drive is trying to read though. Also when I hit the per button I get nothing and the monitor acts like the computer is off.

I have had issues with this computer before and I'm tempted to just build my own. I just have no idea how to do that. I have a power supply, a video card, and a case. Is there anyone here with knowledge that can look at the parts list I've put together and tell me if everything is compatible?

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Computer help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
When my computer is plugged in and the power supply switch is on all the fans run, the disc drives open, and the hard drive spins. I doesn't seen like the hard drive is trying to read though. Also when I hit the per button I get nothing and the monitor acts like the computer is off.

Wait..What?!?  The computer is powered on, but when you hit the power button nothing happens?  Can you clarify this?

If it's just no video..... does the computer beep an string of beeps when you power on?  Have you tried reseating the video card? Sometimes cards will jostle loose and if your video card becomes unseated, then you won't have that function. Turn off the computer, remove the power cord, ground yourself and press down firmly on the edge of the card that is opposite of the side that is connected to the motherboard. Then reconnect the power and try booting again.

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

Wait..What?!?  The computer is powered on, but when you hit the power button nothing happens?  Can you clarify this?

If it's just no video..... does the computer beep an string of beeps when you power on?  Have you tried reseating the video card? Sometimes cards will jostle loose and if your video card becomes unseated, then you won't have that function. Turn off the computer, remove the power cord, ground yourself and press down firmly on the edge of the card that is opposite of the side that is connected to the motherboard. Then reconnect the power and try booting again.

The computer has not been powered on. Its plugged in, and the switch on the power supply is on. If I switch the switch on the power supply off the fans turn off. When I switch the power supply on all the fans run, I can open the cd/dvd drives, and the hard drive spins but it doesn't make any if the sounds that a hard drive makes when its reading.

If I hit the power button on the computer I get nothing. If I hold it down to shut down the computer I get nothing. There are no lights on and also no beeps. I originally took it apart to clean everything because I have pets and their fur gets inside and causes it to run hot. I have since taken it apart and put it together again twice. The power supply is fairly new and the video card is less than a month old.

Offline Morpheus

• My 4 princesses
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
Sounds like the board to me..... Just my two cents..... I build them and prefer to build them....

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »
There's usually a wire that runs from the power button to a jumper (copper pin) on the motherboard. The connector at the end of the wire should say something like "P.SW" (meaning power switch). The trick is finding the right jumper to connect it to (you would need the manual for the motherboard)

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
Sounds like the board to me..... Just my two cents..... I build them and prefer to build them....

This is what I hate about computers. A friend of mine said he thought it sounded like the hard drive.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
A HD won't keep the monitor from coming on though.  It would produce an error message on the screen.   A memory problem would produce a series of beeps from the computer.  A dead motherboard, that's a different story, it just won't work.   LOL

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Morpheus

• My 4 princesses
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
A HD won't keep the monitor from coming on though.  It would produce an error message on the screen.   A memory problem would produce a series of beeps from the computer.  A dead motherboard, that's a different story, it just won't work.   LOL

very true about the monitor.... didnt read that part..... maybe i should read more effectively lol!

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
very true about the monitor.... didnt read that part..... maybe i should read more effectively lol!

Don't sweat it.  It happens to all of us.  I have done it a lot more than once.  LOL

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Ill post what I have and what I'm looking at to build something for my new case.

fatt_tony_13

fatt_tony_13

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »
Anyone?   :help:

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:30:50 AM »
Everything looks good to me Tony.  I would think that it would be one fast system.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
sorry, i am of no help...  I know very little about components... besides my computer is a mac that is about 4 years old, need to upgrade it myself.

Offline James Reardon

• HAPPY NEW YEAR DAD's!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 7
  • It's been a while but, I'm back once again.
  • Children?: 4
  • First Name?: James
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
Mother Board failure. 
Thanks,
James Reardon

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution