Author Topic: Get out and Play  (Read 1737 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Get out and Play
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
I don't know how many of you get a chance to participate in any team sports.  Aside from the runners that post of the races they're in, I don't hear much about other dads getting to play themselves.

We live for our families.  Our time is consumed by partners, children, their friends, their activities and everything they want to do.  I don't know how many of you get a chance to say, "You know what, this is my time".  I understand some of you may not want it (or are convinced you don't need it), but I cannot express how important doing something for myself has been.

I also recognize I'm in a unique position where I only have my daughter every other week.  I wouldn't trade a moment with her for anything, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy being able to do something for myself, even when she's around.

I think it does a couple things for the both of us.  One thing is making sure I put myself in a position to keep moving, keep working, and give myself just that little extra time that I can be active with her in life.  If I didn't play soccer, I would most likely just keep getting fatter.  I don't have the self motivation, so having something like a game I HAVE to play, because I've committed to it, makes me keep going.

Another is the fact that Maya can see how hard I work to improve myself.  She sees I'm dedicated to getting better, so I can enjoy my game more.  Hard work equals success.  On top of this, she gets to see a passion for a game first hand.  I love soccer.  I love every bit of it (except bad calls by the ref...no one likes those).  The fact that she plays the same game makes it that much easier for her to be motivated herself.

I'm INVESTED in her development.  This one is incredibly big, to me.  90% of Maya's team is dropped off to training, and the parents disappear to run errands.  There are only 2-5 parents there, consistently, at every training.  I know Maya acknowledges this, as do her teammates, as a couple of them have commented to Maya that they wish their parents were as committed as hers.

I know Maya will only continue to have fun playing soccer if she continues to have success with it.  Learning a new trick, learning to kick harder, learning to make better plays, then using what she's learned to gain assists, score goals or even block goals when she's playing keeper.  So I'm invested in giving her every opportunity to do that.

But it doesn't feel like it.  As I said, I love this sport, and I love that I can share it with my daughter.  We arrive at training an hour early so we can have our own time to warm up, then work on those things she doesn't get to work on in training (first touch, taking a ball down out of the air, etc.).  We arrive an hour early before my games so we can find some corner of the turf that's not being used so we can warm me up before my games.  She loves that she can warm me up for my games as well, it makes her feel like she's an important part of my playing.

Very long post aside, if you used to play, start playing again.  If you've never played, start playing.  Be more than the disciplinarian, more than the chauffeur, more than the cheerleader.  Be an idol.  Be a hero.  Be someone your kid looks up to and wants to be like and not just because you're smarter, or bigger, or funnier.  Let them see you work hard and play harder.  Instill that passion through example!

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: Get out and Play
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
great post Keet!.  So many great takeaways.  Even though i have running, I might have to try and find a sport to share with the kids.  Aside from the kickball coaching that i am doing.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
Great post Keet.  While I have my running, and that's my thing I try and be involved as much as I can with the kids stuff.  When Nicole played soccer I volunteered to coach though I had never played soccer before.  I thought it was important to be there.
Tommy started karate so I did the first few classes with him now I'm hooked.  Probably more than him lol but it's a kind of competition to see who advances faster.
And now we've started cub scouts.  Maybe not a sport but definitely an activity to do together.  Especially at this first Tiger Scout level where a parent or guardian is required to participate.  We had our first den meeting last night.  I volunteered and I'm an assistant den leader.  One of the kids asked me if he could use the restroom.  I said sure where's your mom?  he said she left, your dad?  not here.  Luckily there was another woman there that knew him and went with him.  i couldn't take him alone according to the rules.  He looked hurt when he told me not one of his parents stayed.  So I need to talk to the parents at the next meeting.  Anyway, Tommy loved every minute of it.  On the way home he asked me "Daddy can I be in boy scouts for my whole life?  I said sure if you want to be involved you can be.  Then he asked When I have a boy can he be a cub scout and can I be a den leader like you?"  Brought a smile to my face, I said you sure can and he sure can.  That's what it's all about.  Doing things together.  He's only 6 but he'll remember.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:25:39 AM »
Excellent post Keet.  Reading that makes me want to be a better dad and invest more of my time into my kids, which is hard to do with 3 kids and will be even harder with 4 kids....remembering that there are only 24 hours in a day.   LOL     I try to spread out the time I do have to all of them equally, but my youngest son needs more of my time because I have to help him with his homework.  I think the school goes too fast for him to learn efficiently, that's why I slow it down at home so he can understand it.
While I have never played soccer, my kids have.  My sport was basketball, I played it ALL the time when I was young.  I don't anymore, but I want too.  Great post man!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution