Author Topic: What Did You Do This Weekend?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
What Did You Do This Weekend?
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
I bet you did not go camping with a bunch of boy scouts, cook turkeys in the outdoors, hang out with a bunch of other dads, and watch a great camp fire production. I did and it was GREAT!  :excited:

This last weekend was our annual Webelos Woods, which is a camp out designed to help the oldest of our Cub Scout little brothers, the Webelos. It is an opportunity for them to camp out one night with a Boy Scout Troop and learn what Boy Scouts is about and to also learn what our Troop is like, hopefully influencing them to cross-over into Boy Scouts and our troop.

Under normal circumstances the boys in our troop plan , cook, and clean up their own meals, but for Webelos Woods the adult leaders take over and cook dinner for one night (the night the Webelos stay with us) and the next morning.

We cook a traditional turkey meal or in this case feast for the the Webelos, their families, and the troop. This year we cooked four turkeys, two hams, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and tossed salad.

I was the main cook for the turkeys. I fried three of them and cooked the fourth trash can style (or what we call trash can style anyway).

The fried turkey prep is pretty self explanatory, but the trash can needs a little more explanation. What you need is a turkey, aluminum foil, a bunch of charcoal, a few rocks, a grate, the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gal drum with vent holes in the bottom edge, and a shovel. Dig a hole that is six to eight inches deep with a diameter slightly smaller than the 55 gal drum. Place rocks on two side of the hole so that the tops are even and about 4 inches from the bottom. Fill the bottom with hot charcoal a couple of layers deep. place the grate on the rocks. Season and wrap the Turkey in Foil, and place it on the grate. Cover the works up with the 1/3 of 55 gal drum turned over (now the vents are at the top edge). Pack dirt around the barrel up to vents. Layer another layer of hot charcoal over the whole top of the drum. Let it cook. Don't ask me how long or what temp. Just til it's done. The fourteen pound turkey took about four and a half hours.

This is what the top of the trash can/barrel looked like. We have a couple of these 1/3 barrels that we use for portable fire pits when we are camping unimproved (which is most times)

Here's a shot of our fryers another dad/leader turning on the gas.

Here's one of a big turkey (me) pulling out a cooked turkey.

Another couple of turkeys (My son Jeremy and his friend Michael)

First we opened the camp to the Webelos.

Then the boys had stations set up to show the Cubs different things.

We had a Patrol Box station to show them how we prepare meals normally. Forgot to get a pic of that.

There was a first aid station, teaching basic first aid.

A fire safety station, teaching..... wait for it..... fire safety!

A tent station, teaching how to set up and take down our tents.

A knife and sharp tool station, teaching knife and sharp tool safety.

We ended the night with a camp fire where we retired a few colors.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: What Did You Do This Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
I bet you guys had a blast!  That looks like so much fun!
I worked all weekend long.  Actually, I'm 7 days into a 9 day run of working (12 hours a day).  I am extremely tired so not much going on for me besides work and sleep.
Last weekend I took my boys coon hunting with some friends and their dogs.  What a night!  We had so much fun   The only thing is I'm not used to walking up and down mountain slopes and neither were my boys.  We were very tired and sore the next day, but it was tons of fun and we will be doing it again soon!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
That looks great!  Love me some friend turkey!  Can't wait for Tommy to start doing that.  We didn't go camping but we did go on a hike with the Den to complete one of the steps for their tiger badges.  While we were out we did the den activity and did some leaf rubbing.  the boys had a great time.  Went to Ken Lockwood Gorge by my house.  A nice walk along a river

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
Well we did not go camping, although that looks AMAZING! However, we did have a great weekend! After finishing a half day at work, assisting in a massive inventory, we went out to lunch at a new family favorite, a little 50's style burger joint and picked up some custom ornaments that my MIL had ordered the last time she was up. Then on Sunday we had his birthday party at a bounce house...long story short (will post more seperately), it was a blast!

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
I bet you guys had a blast!  That looks like so much fun!
I worked all weekend long.  Actually, I'm 7 days into a 9 day run of working (12 hours a day).  I am extremely tired so not much going on for me besides work and sleep.
Last weekend I took my boys coon hunting with some friends and their dogs.  What a night!  We had so much fun   The only thing is I'm not used to walking up and down mountain slopes and neither were my boys.  We were very tired and sore the next day, but it was tons of fun and we will be doing it again soon!

We don't get much coon hunting here, but it does sound like fun. I know exactly what you mean about feeling it the next day.  :)*

That looks great!  Love me some friend turkey!  Can't wait for Tommy to start doing that.  We didn't go camping but we did go on a hike with the Den to complete one of the steps for their tiger badges.  While we were out we did the den activity and did some leaf rubbing.  the boys had a great time.  Went to Ken Lockwood Gorge by my house.  A nice walk along a river

Man that brings back memories!  :up: Though the camp was mostly for the Webelos we also had a few other Cubs there including a Tiger Cub. They only came up for the day and didn't stay the night, but they got to participate in the stations too, just not at a more appropriate level. I was proud of our boys. They did a good job talking and teaching at just the right level to make it fun for all. We would have loved to have you both there.

Well we did not go camping, although that looks AMAZING! However, we did have a great weekend! After finishing a half day at work, assisting in a massive inventory, we went out to lunch at a new family favorite, a little 50's style burger joint and picked up some custom ornaments that my MIL had ordered the last time she was up. Then on Sunday we had his birthday party at a bounce house...long story short (will post more seperately), it was a blast!

Birthday parties and bounce houses, nothing but fun there!  :biggrin:

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
What Did You Do This Weekend?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
Looks like you guys had a blast.  I cannot wait for Will do join the scouts. My weekend was spent in Louisiana cleaning up our barracks and getting ready to hear home after 3 weeks of being gone. One bus now to get back to the kids and my preggo wife

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
I remember those scouting trips many years ago...always had a blast at them.

I got mildly shithoused on some fantastic 15-year old scotch and a great coffee porter, then played soccer the next morning (not my best decision of November 2012).  Watched the kid do some training, played a couple more soccer games Sunday and did some stuff around the house.

Is it obvious it wasn't my week with the girl child?

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
@Jessie - Sounds like you had a blast too Jessie.  I love going to those 50's style joints.   We have had a few here but they seem to close down fast.  Don't know why.
@Keith - I'm sure you can't wait to get home to your family and I know they can't wait to have you back. 
@Keet - Probably not one of your better decisions, but I bet you had fun none-the-less.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution