Author Topic: Kids and Trouble Sleeping  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Kids and Trouble Sleeping
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
I have noticed over time that my son, Tanner says that he doesn't sleep very well.  Some days when he gets up from sleeping all night he is very irritable and keeps talking about how he didn't sleep well.  I think this may be some of his problems in school (bad grades, bad behavior).  Do kids have trouble sleeping and if so, what can we do?
Has anyone else had this problem with their children and if so have you tried anything?  Did it help?
My wife has suggested that we try melatonin for the sleeping problem, but I have read on several sites that isn't a good idea.   So I'm turning to you guys to see what you have done or read.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: Kids and Trouble Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
How regular is his evening schedule and wake up schedule?  Does he have a nightly routine that he follows so his body helps recognize that it's time to sleep?  Is he eating late and, if so, what is he eating?  Is he in the middle of a growth spurt that could be causing joint pain?

There are piles of reasons he could be having difficulties sleep, typically the most common are eating and the evening routine (from personal experience, anyway).  Stress is a big factor, but seems unlikely for a kid (never know, I suppose).

Before going for a chemical solution, I'd take a look at what is happening around him or what he's doing every evening.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
Is he sleeping alone or in the room with Tyler?  How's his bed? What's his diet like during the day and in the evening (especially regarding sugar and caffiene)?  Is he on any meds? What temp is his room overnight?  Did he have this problem during the summer?  Is his room pitch dark or does it have a night light?

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
How regular is his evening schedule and wake up schedule?  Does he have a nightly routine that he follows so his body helps recognize that it's time to sleep?  Is he eating late and, if so, what is he eating?  Is he in the middle of a growth spurt that could be causing joint pain?

There are piles of reasons he could be having difficulties sleep, typically the most common are eating and the evening routine (from personal experience, anyway).  Stress is a big factor, but seems unlikely for a kid (never know, I suppose).

Before going for a chemical solution, I'd take a look at what is happening around him or what he's doing every evening.

Hey Keet.   As far as I know he doesn't have alot of stress.   LOL  He is pretty laid back until his sister gets on his nerves, he says.   :)

During the school week all of the kids are in bed by 9pm and they get up around 6:30am.    Now on weekends we let them stay up until around 11pm.   The boys go to their bio moms every other weekend for one night, I don't know how late she lets them stay up.  I think they get anything they want there.
As far as eating, they usually eat between 6-7pm almost every night unless something goes on.  I did take them to Boy Scouts last Monday and they didn't eat until 8:30pm.   
I don't know if that could be it, but I will monitor the situation better and see what happens.

Is he sleeping alone or in the room with Tyler?  How's his bed? What's his diet like during the day and in the evening (especially regarding sugar and caffiene)?  Is he on any meds? What temp is his room overnight?  Did he have this problem during the summer?  Is his room pitch dark or does it have a night light?

Hey Mitch.  Tanner and Tyler share a room.  They had bunk beds but we took them apart and placed them on different sides of the room.  We leave the house on 68 degrees at night, we sleep better when it's chilly.  However, their room does get warmer during the day because they keep their door shut.
Our kids don't get much caffiene at all, they might have some soda at supper and that's all that I know of.  Supper is usually between 6-7 pm.  He isn't on any meds at all now.
He never complained about being tired in the summer.  They would sleep in everyday until around 9 or 10am.  Their room is pretty dark, they have nice shades on their window and the window is facing east so it doesn't get the morning sun.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
My son used to and still does sometimes have trouble falling asleep.  Wasn't able to turn his brain off.  I got him a notebook or journal.  I told him whenever he felt this way to write in it.  Of course he loves writing.  The firt couple of days he wrote in it a few times a day.  I've asked him since and he told me he hasn't had to or felt he needed to anymore.  I think he needed to get some things out of his head.  This all started because he started to develop some OCD symptoms.  He still shows them but not as much as he used to.  before the journal he was quick to anger, trouble falling asleep and lots of OCD habits.  He still has some but they aren't as drastic and he has his moments as most kids do but not like before.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
That's great Randy that you helped him find an "out" to calm down.  I hope it continues to work.   
I just think Tanner has some nights that it's just really hard for him to stay asleep.  I don't know why yet, but I'm gonna try and figure it out.

Offline Fleury

• "Right Turn Clide"
  • Daddy Sr.
  • Liked: 22
  • Laid Back and Relaxed!! oh ya, and Competative
  • First Name?: Brad
  • Xbox Gamertag: Jig72x
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »
My youngest Cameron has issues sleeping sometimes. He would get angry and then start crying. We told him to relax. Maybe read or turn on the tv in his room. When I was a kid I had the same problem. The worst part was when everyone else would go to bed. I would almost panic. Frustration almost guarantees no sleep. Remind him that he will get up the next day and everything will be fine. I think you will see a difference.
"There is only one way to settle this, "Chinese Downhill

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Brad.  I will definitely try those.   On a side note, he has been sleeping better now, it's like it comes and goes.

jamiller86

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »
Yeah so mine are 4 and 6 and they don't sleep very well either. Some days it's awesome and they sleep through the night, but most nights, they are terrible at sleeping. Good luck, usually the dark and no noise helps.

BradR76

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
From my experience, what my son eats and when is a big factor. Then also pulling him away from screen time earlier in the night helps too. If he falls asleep watching tv earlier on thats fine, but I've noticed he has a point where his body says "we'll skip sleep!" and if any screens(tv, ipad, itouch, playstation) is on, he will be up till it is off and then he struggles regardless.

I let him play with Lego sets from his Pley.com subscription(lego rental) before bed to help him wind down. The quiet building keeps him calm and not too overstimulated.

Hope this helps.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution