Author Topic: Best Tablet For Me  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Best Tablet For Me
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Hey you dad computer gurus.
For Christmas, I have asked for money from everyone because I wanted to save up some money to buy a tablet.  Which one?  I don't know.  Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7, any of the android ones, Ipad?  I don't know.
I know that I want to be able to watch movies, any of them can do that with Netflix.  I want to get on the internet through my wifi - most will do that.   Almost all of them will do what I want, but here is where it gets complicated to me.  I want to be able to play facebook games on them.  Not just some facebook games, but all of them, maybe even through the facebook webpage.  So, I need the tablet to be able to play java and flash based games.
So gurus, do you have any recommendations for me?   Which ones do you use?
Thanks!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: Best Tablet For Me
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
I think the requirement for flash/java already puts you in line for an android tablet.  From there I'd just focus on the things that are most important to you.

Screen size, hard drive size, battery life

Beyond that, they're all going to be pretty equal.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
If that's the case, then which one would you choose Keet?   The Kindle Fire HD, galaxy 2 or google nexus 2?
Thanks for the reply.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »
From what I can figure out with the Kindle Fire, it is pretty proprietary and limited. Yes it runs on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but from the research I have done it does not seem to be very app friendly or able to easily download and use other new apps.

I just got an inexpensive generic one. It's a 10" iview and so far it does what I want. I have not tried it with Facebook games, though. I will have to give it a go when I get home and have wi-fi available. Mine only has wi-fi and not 3G or 4G. One thing mine does not have that I would look for is Bluetooth. After getting it I found out that the ones with Bluetooth are more versatile in that linking them up to other components and tethering them to a cell phone for internet access away from wi-fi is pretty easy with bluetooth. So look for that in your shopping.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
From what I can figure out with the Kindle Fire, it is pretty proprietary and limited. Yes it runs on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but from the research I have done it does not seem to be very app friendly or able to easily download and use other new apps.

I hadn't heard that about the Kindle Fire HD.  That will help in my decision. 

I just got an inexpensive generic one. It's a 10" iview and so far it does what I want. I have not tried it with Facebook games, though. I will have to give it a go when I get home and have wi-fi available. Mine only has wi-fi and not 3G or 4G. One thing mine does not have that I would look for is Bluetooth. After getting it I found out that the ones with Bluetooth are more versatile in that linking them up to other components and tethering them to a cell phone for internet access away from wi-fi is pretty easy with bluetooth. So look for that in your shopping.
Please let me know if the games work and if you can, tell me what kind you got and the model # so I can look it up.  There is an electronics show here in Knoxville tomorrow morning and I am planning on going.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
If you plan on playing facook like games Then you will definitely want to stay away from the iPad as there is no flash on it, thus you would be unable to play those games
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:58:35 AM by Big daddy Eis »

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
ok guys.  I bought the Kindle Fire HD.  The screen is the best I have ever seen on any tablet.  It can do anything that I have wanted it to do.

It's taking some time to get used to the virtual keyboard, but I'm getting it.  I'm using it right now.  I can actually use it to play facebook games.  I figured out how to get flash in it and now I can play facebook games.  They play a little slow, but they are playable.

I'm always looking for new apps but most of my time on it is reading boos and watching HD shows on Amazon prime.

Final word? I love it and for $199, you can't beat it!

What tablet do you have or want?

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:12 PM »
That's cool. I'm glad you like it. when iwas looking at them online the description was so vague on whether or not it was app friendly for the free apps at google play that I shied away from it. I also wanted a 10" pad. Otherwise it would only be a bit bigger than my phone. I wanted something I could write with too.

I have an iview 1030TPC and I love it. I have the Thumb Keyboard app, which I love and makes really easy to type because it has a a split keyboard that puts the keys right under the thumbs when you hold it with both hands. It has a function to switch to a stansard keyboard and a single hand keyboard at the push of a button. It works great and is what I am using right now to type this.

I also have a kindle app for reading books from amazon and a nook app for reading books from barns and noble. I have a kindle and really see no difference in how it works or looks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:02:58 AM by Ramblin' Dad »

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:03 AM »
i'm glad you like it.  tablets are the next big thing.  probably already are.

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
  • Liked: 10
  • First Name?: Brian
  • Xbox Gamertag: itsallbs
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »
Keith congrats on your new tablet.  Glad that it worked out for you.

i got here late but the ipad has an app call iswifter which would allow you to play fb games.....maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »

i got here late but the ipad has an app call iswifter which would allow you to play fb games.....maybe it will be useful for someone else.

I didn't know that!  Thanks for the info.  Don't worry about being late, i couldn't afford an ipad anyway.

Offline Morpheus

• My 4 princesses
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
I feel ya! It;s expensive.....

I didn't know that!  Thanks for the info.  Don't worry about being late, i couldn't afford an ipad anyway.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
I have an iPad 3 and love it.  I have not tried Facebook games on it because of the flash issue, now I have a reason too.  Thanks Brian, now I will be checking out iSwifter.

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
  • Liked: 10
  • First Name?: Brian
  • Xbox Gamertag: itsallbs
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
quick disclaimer about iswifter it won't work 100% but will you let "test" it out for 30mins - 1 hour, well worth the $5 i paid a while back.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution