Author Topic: fresh start with twin 5 yr olds  (Read 3109 times)

taz311

fresh start with twin 5 yr olds
« on: December 27, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Hello DaddyPlace! Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read, and especially comment.

I am 26 and just moved in with the love of my life over the Christmas weekend! She is the mother of twin boys (5yo) who are fun-loving and high energy like most kids their age. My gf and I dated long distance for almost two years. During that time my relationship with the children has been mostly positive, but I am looking for advice on good ways to spend quality time with them now that I'll be around more.

Please forgive if this sounds silly, but as the youngest child that didn't live close with family members, my experience playing with children is almost zero. Any advice and/or encouragement is welcome! Looking forward to being a part of this community!!

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: fresh start with twin 5 yr olds
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
Hey Jerrod.  Welcome to Daddyplace!   Great to have you here and I hope that you visit everyday and participate around the site.
Just be yourself around the boys and teach them things.  One of my favorite things to do with my kids is go on hikes.  Teach them everything you know about outdoor life.  Tell them what types of trees you see, what bugs and animals you see.  You would be surprised how much there is outside to learn about and they will LOVE it. 
Get one of those cheap remote control helicopters.  My boys love them and we play with them a lot.
Also, take a look at our blogs and read up some on step-dads and other dad stuff.  There are some articles there written by other dads.
Great to have you here.  Hope to see you around.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
Welcome to the site Jerrod. You are now part of the best dads site on the Internet. Enjoy your time.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
Welcome aboard and congrats!  I have a 6 year old son so I am almost in the same boat as you.  I think the most important thing when playing with the kids is to follow their lead.  If they are anything like my son they will want to make the rules of the game or whatever you are doing.  But follow their lead.  You can suggest things but let them make the choices. And have fun.  Don't be afraid to act like a kid.  They LOVE it.  They just want to run around the house waving their arms and screaming then run around screaming.  They'll love it and you probably will too.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

JDSawyer00

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »
My son is only two years old but that he has loved going out to the Zoo and the Aquarium.  It is nice to be able to talk to him about the animals and he enjoys talking about them and learning about them.  I agree though just spending time with them doing things outside and being active will mean the world to them.  I wish you the best of luck!

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
Welcome to DP Jerrod!

Good advice from those who posted earlier. I would add to that, approach them with interest in anything they do. Kids love show and tell, so let them show and tell but be genuinely interested in what they have to show you. Also when you show them how to do something new, let them show it off to you that they know how and be patient if they take a long time doing it or make mistakes. They look up to you for approval and when you show interest and approval you strengthen their confidence and bond closer to them.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
hey Ramblin...join the Cub Scouts too! :-)
My son LOVES it.  And in 1st grade the parent has to be involved in every aspect

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
hey Ramblin...join the Cub Scouts too! :-)
My son LOVES it.  And in 1st grade the parent has to be involved in every aspect

Yes Cub Scouts is a big plus! They can start in First grade as Tiger Cubs. I have been my son's scout leader for 8 years now, starting with Tigers and it has been an awesome experience. I don't directly lead now, because in Boy Scouts the youth lead themselves, but I am there to watch and make sure the blood shed is minimized.  ~o)

Another big key for boys is let them be boys. Dirt washes off, in fact most things wash off. Scrapes and cuts are war wounds and should be looked on with a little pride, and definitely not over-protectiveness. Be there to catch them if they are gonna fall hard, but let them fall and learn and PLAY like boys. That is one thing scouts has done for us. Mom isn't there hovering with her wet wipes and bubble wrap and we can get dirty and have fun. More than once I have used the yard hose to rinse before entering the house. Mom has just learned to point us to the showers to become "civilized" again.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:07:10 AM by Ramblin' Dad »

JDSawyer00

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
I agree I think that some of the best times that we have had were out back playing "Bronco Ball" or football and just goofing off.  It is nice because he gets out and burns energy which means he sleeps better and that is great for the parents.  Just be present!

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
I came back to this post to mention and suggest the cub scouts.    You guys beat me to it.  :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution