Author Topic: USNSCC aka U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
USNSCC aka U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
Well it's time to put on the uniform again for me. Jeremy and I are joining the USNSCC aka U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps. I was a cadet when I was his age in Reno. We found another local/regional unit. Not in Reno though. The Reno unit I was in disbanded for reasons unknown. They're known but aren't shared too much.

Anyway this last November, during the Veterans Day Parade, that my submarine veterans group was in, Jeremy spotted a couple of "Navy" guys in uniform and gave them a shout out and fist pump. I looked over and did a double take, they weren't active Navy. They were Sea Cadet Officers (the adults that run the program are officers). I told Jeremy and his eyes lit up. We went over and talked to them. Turns out they were from a unit in Carson City, the Carson City Division.

After talking to them I talked to Jeremy and asked if he would be interested in doing that and he excitedly said hell yeah! He has decided he really wants to join the Navy. That may change, he's just 14, but until and if it does I'm gonna give him a hand. So he is going in as a Cadet and I am going in as in Instructor.

The NSCC was established by the Navy League of the United States in 1958 at the request of the Department of the Navy. In 1962, the NSCC was federally chartered by Congress under Public Law 87-655 as a non-profit civilian organization with specific objectives and purposes in regard to training of American boys, this training to be accomplished through organization and cooperation with the Department of the Navy. The NSCC offers a nautically oriented training program for young Americans, ages 13 through 17. The NSCC allows young people to sample military life with no obligation to join any branch of the armed forces. Should a cadet decide to enlist in either the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, or Marine Corps, prior NSCC training may permit entry at an advanced pay grade (E-2/E-3), depending on the service.

The Cadets complete Navy advancement courses and train with the Navy, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marines. All the course work they do caries forward. If they join the Navy they do not have to complete it again to advance. This helped me out a lot. While my shipmates had to do the courses to advance, have the time in rate, and pass the advancement test, all I had to do was have the time in rate and pass the test. It was funny the first time I went to advance. They started to give me the correspondence books and instruct me on how to turn in the course work. I stopped them and told them it was already done. At first they didn't believe me and I told them to look in my record. When they found it they got even more confused because it was completed prior to my enlistment date.  :laugh2: That's when they learned about Sea Cadets.

Adults start as Instructors and move into the officer ranks after a year, if they are interested in helping run things more. All wear the Navy uniform, Jeremy the enlisted uniform and me the officer uniform. The main everyday functional uniform is the NWU (Navy Working Uniform, that's a blue digital camo, BDU looking type), and/or the BDU (being fazed out, the navy sea bees wear them. They are the traditional woodland camo). Jeremy's Dress Uniform will be the Dress Blue and Dress White, or the Cracker Jack uniform, called that because it looks like the uniform worn by the Cracker Jack kid on the box. He will also have the working blues, which are a navy blue long sleeve button shirt, tie, and slacks. I have to get the NWU or BDU, Khakies, Working Blues, and Dress Blues. Not all at once thank god. These can be damn expensive.

I have already taught a class that was well received by the cadets and that I am still getting questions on. It was an introduction to submarine service. I had a lot of cool pictures and some true to life sea stories, that they just ate up, including Jeremy. This is gonna be fun!

Jeremy is all excited and want's to learn all about the military. I don't burst his bubble, but I do keep him a bit down to earth and Sea Cadets will definitely give a taste of what it is really like. He will learn that it isn't like it is in the video game modern warfare, or like on tv, all glamorized. He will also learn that the cool parts are there too, but there will be a lot of hard work for them, also that his idea of cool will dramatically change with reality. I think he is old enough to appreciate this, especially since it wont just be from me, but others with experience, which will help take the rebellious "I know" barrier down that block a lot of teens from learning other than the hard way.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
Re: USNSCC aka U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
Sweet!  Will he still do scouts or does this replace scouting?  Sounds pretty cool.  But...there is no "sea" by you. :-)  How much do you get that??

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Sweet!  Will he still do scouts or does this replace scouting?  Sounds pretty cool.  But...there is no "sea" by you. :-)  How much do you get that??

Oh yeah, scouts is still in the picture. Maybe not as heavy as before, but still there. I think if there are conflicts that Sea Cadets will win out though. Nothing will replace Scouting. We both enjoy it too much. Especially the camping. The bigest conflicts will be during the summer. There are only so many weeks in the summer and with scout summer camp and Sea Cadet Basic Training (boot camp, that is two weeks long, but is as close to the real deal as can be given to 14yos) and then advanced training with the Navy or Coast Guard which is two weeks long. They even have training with the Navy Seals! Not my cuppa tea, but hey some dig it. They go on Coast Guard cutters, Navy Air Craft Carriers, other navy ships, and just last year a couple of cadets from my area went on the USS Nevada (a submarine! Which is a totally new thing for cadets and sub service).

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
That is cool stuff!  My neighbors kids do a similar thing with the air patrol

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
That is really awesome John!  I bet Jeremy will really like it.  I have never heard of it before.  I guess it isn't talked about too much?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
Here is one of the official informational videos. It kind of gives you an idea about Sea Cadets. It's older in that the working uniforms are the old dungarees. It's about 10 min long, so bring the :popcn:

The Adventure of a Lifetime

They are all over the country, not just near the coast. Yes Randy I have always been asked that question over and over again.

Here's a Division for you Keith.  :biggrin: Knoxville Smoky Mountain Division of Sea Cadets

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution