Author Topic: Stronglifts 5x5  (Read 1229 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Stronglifts 5x5
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
So, I stumbled on this program by a guy called Mehdi Hadim called "Stronglifts".  I don't recall what google search brought me to his page, but I was intrigued by the program due to its simplicity and short amount of time required to complete.

• 3-days per week (I do Mon-Wed-Fri so it doesn't clash with my daughter's soccer training)
  • 30-45 minutes per session (At the lighter weights, I haven't needed very long breaks between sets, so I've been getting them done as quickly as 20-25 minutes.  As the weight has increased, they're currently taking 30-35 minutes)
  • 3-full body exercises/lifts per session

It's all done with a single bar and free weights (no dumbbells, no machines), which my step dad has, so it's not only a good excuse to go visit my ma, but I get in a workout as well.

So, workout one would be:
5 sets, 5 reps (5x5) Squat
5x5 Bench Press
5x5 Bent Over Row

Workout two:
5x5 Squat
5x5 Overhead Press
1x5 Deadlift (just one set, though I've been doing two)

then back to the "day one" lifts and alternate going forward.  The weight increases every single session with the beginning starting at bar weight or close to.

I just completed my 4th week, yesterday and here are numbers so far.  Keep in mind, these aren't max lifts, just the sets/reps that are part of the program:

Squat Start - 60
Squat Current - 115

Bench Start - 60
Bench Current - 100

Overhead Press (OP) Start - 45
OP Current - 70

Bent Over Row (BOR) Start - 65
BOR Current - 95

Deadlift Start - 90
Deadlift Current - 140

Starting weight - 249 lbs
Current weight - 237 lbs

More than the weight loss (12 lbs in 1 month!), I can actually see some definition in my arms which, quite frankly, I haven't seen in over a decade (faaaaaaat!).  My energy levels are up, though my fitness/conditioning still sucks (a month without playing in soccer games means I haven't been running nearly as much, but my summer season kicks off with my first game tonight).

I haven't lifted free weights in ages, at least not seriously and not part of any program.  I love this program, though.  Mostly for it's simplicity and time commitment, but also because it gets results.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Stronglifts 5x5
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
How's this working out for you Keet?   
Personally, I just can't seem to get motivated to work out.   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
It's been going well.  Sticking with any plan has always been my issue as well.  I'll make great strides, then find out I'm a little too tired one day, or have a game, or have to get Maya, or any other excuse comes up.

But I've stuck with this one.  6 weeks straight and I've only missed two workouts, both were over memorial weekend (Friday & Monday).

I've been consistent enough I've talked to my sister-in-law about her gym so I can keep working out when I go on vacation next month

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Just wanted to provide another update to this.

I've been doing this routine for 13 weeks, now.  I've missed a few workouts due to vacations, but otherwise have stuck with it.

Recently, I went in to see the doc and she found a thinning of my abdominal wall (not a hernia, but not far from it).  She told me to stop lifting heavy weight.  Lower weight, higher reps.

I struggled with this because I never felt my hip while lifting, I felt it after a game of soccer.

So I took 11 days off.

I went in this last Monday.  I recorded a video of my squat so I could check my form (better to prevent injury) and decided to keep adding weight to the bar until I felt my hip.  I set a new personal record.

So, here are the numbers and the updates:

Squat:
280 lbs

I have yet to fail a single rep with squats (all those years of carrying extra fat apparently helps).  The bar got incredibly heavy starting at 270, though, so these lifts have been a real struggle.  It doesn't help I don't have a squat rack or cage to lift in, so if I go down, I'm going to go down hard.  Need to find a gym, very soon.

Bench:
160 lbs

Unfortunately bench has stalled out and I've had to deload a bunch of weight due to throwing my shoulder out.  I can now only bench 100 lbs without pain.  It sucks, but at least I can do something

Overhead Press:
115 lbs

Similar issue to the bench, but this one doesn't hurt my shoulder nearly as much.  I had to deload this one to 105, but I'm still progressing and trying to break 115

Bent-over Row:
145 lbs

No issues with this one, though I have come close to failing sets here and there.

Deadlift:
280 lbs

I have yet to stall on this one, either.

Considering these are "working weights", I don't know what my 1 rep max is for any of them.  Each of these weights, I end up doing 25 reps (5 sets, 5 reps).  I believe the rule of thumb is something like +20 lbs or +30 lbs for a 1 rep max, but I could be way off.

Either way, I'm stronger than I've been in 20 years, I feel so much better, my back and knees feel better and my recovery time when running on the soccer pitch is so much faster.

I do have goals with all this, though:
  • I'm gunning to get back down to 200 lbs (I've dropped ~15-20 lbs of fat and have gained 4-6 lbs of muscle over the last 3 months).
  • 1.5x body weight in squats...which I'm dead close to with the 200 lb target body weight
  • 1x body weight in bench...this one's going to take awhile
  • 2x body weight in deadlift...this one's going to take awhile as well

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution