Author Topic: Prostate Cancer  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Prostate Cancer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
The surgery itself and pain coming out of that wasn't too bad, compared to what I have had before. This was surgery #7 for me (lucky 7??).  I had heard that it was a lot easier than recovering from hernia surgery, of which I have done twice.  That seems to be true.  I have 6 incisions across my abdomen and although they are tender and sitting up causes some minor pain/discomfort coming from tensing those muscles, it's not too bad and is much easier than it was post hernia surgery. 

During the surgery, they pulled cells neighboring the prostate and did microscopic examinations of them. They all looked clean. That's great. Awaiting the full lab pathology report this week that I hope will confirm the same and then I can put all of this behind me.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
That's great news Mitch!   I happy that everything is going great post surgery.   Keep us updated and take it easy until you heal up!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
Pathology report came back clean.  Both the lymph nodes and the margins were clean. Cancer free!  Follow-up blood test in about 3 months to check the PSA level. It should have sunk to an undetectable level by then, confirming that all prostate tissue and related cancer cells are gone. Should it not be 0 or near zero, then treatment options would need to be explored, because that would mean some cancer cells remain (or my body started generated some prostate tissue).

Cathereter is out for a week now.  Leaking urine. Not fun at all. They say it will take 1-2 months to get decent control and about 6 months to regain full control (the pelvic muscle has to be trained to hold back the flow without the prostate, which used to do some that work too).

Also experiencing ED. No response from the dead worm in my shorts. That will take a while to get back. The nerves that control that response are attached to the prostate. Although they saved that during the surgery, they need time to "wake up" and regenerate from any damage incurred.

Aside from that, still a bit sore and tired. But getting better every few days.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the update!
Dang.  Sorry you have to go through all of this, but I know your a strong person and I know that you are determined to beat this thing.
Are the doctors happy with your progress and how the surgery went?
Great news though to hear that the lymph nodes are cancer free!  My sister has to go to the doctor tomorrow to have her check up (to make sure there are no cancer cells). I can't remember the name of the test.
Please keep us updated.  I have continued to think about you and your family and to pray for you guys!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
excellent news!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere