Author Topic: Food quick easy good  (Read 4124 times)

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Food quick easy good
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
I know that I do most of the cooking all the time but with dealing with kids during the day it can be hard to make good tasting quick dinners so here is a topic for quick, good tasting and most important easy meal ideas

Chicken Alfredo: Chop up a pound of chicken cook it in a pan with a bit of oil add cut broccoli about halfway through the chicken being done then add jar of Alfredo sauce. Boil some pasta start it at the beginning of the chicken cooking (I like bow tie myself) cook til done takes 20 min or so

Burger Casserole: Brown 1.5lbs hamburger meat, add can of whole corn, can  of cream of chicken or broccoli soup mix. top with tater tots, cook using the directions of the tots. then top with cheese
put back into oven til cheese is melted. takes 10min to do then baking times vary

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
Re: Food quick easy good
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
no body else wants to SHARE. there hasto be something somebody likes and wants to SHARE with the group :bootyshake:

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
Oh man, I have the best meal.  I love this dinner and try to convince the wife to have it like every week.  We are real big on simple dinners that are tasty.

Here is my favorite and I have plenty others.

Cream Cheese Chicken

Take 5 frozen pieces of chicken breast (medium to large sized) and put in the crock pot.  Add corn, black beans and a tub of salsa (doesn't matter temp of salsa, I guess if you want a spicier meal, then choose a hot salsa, if not, mild will work as well)

Let this cook for 5 hours on high.  About 30 minutes before you want to eat start some white or brown rice (we do white) and put an 8 ounce pack of cream cheese on top of the chicken and other ingredients.  (you'll probably find that your dinner in the crock pot is relatively watery, I usually drain some of the water but you dont have to)

After the 30 minutes, shred the chicken with 2 forks or whatever and mix up the softened cream cheese.  Pile on top of rice (or on the side) and there you go.  I love this meal and everyone we have made it for loves it too.  Even my vegetarian sister lol

5 pieces of chicken
1 can of black beans
1 tub of salsa
corn
1 8oz pack of cream cheese
some rice

I'm not good at writing out directions so if you need any clarification then let me know. 

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »
I know its not "quick" but its real easy to prepare and since it is in the crock pot, you don't have to watch it.  Try it man.  Its amazing.

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »
well those meals seem  more involved then my idea.
For a quick snack.. Take some pita bread, slather some pizza sauce on top sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese, and pepperonis if you want, bake in toaster oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.. great snack.

quick meal idea: cook up 2-3 fesh chicken breasts and cube into pieces, you can use frozen if you want, fresh takes less time. in a pot cook about 2 cups of rice or 2 big bags of boil in a bag rice. takes 10 minutes. Take bags of rice out of pot and into strainer.take 1 can of cream of broccoli soup and mix in pot from the rice(already warm and saves dishes..:) ) Mix soup with can of milk like says on can. then dump rice into pot and mix thoroughly with cooked chicken pieces, and soup. Add a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and you have chicken rice casserole! takes less then 30 minutes from start to finish and it reheats well for lwftovers.

Ingredients:

2-3 small chicken breasts fresh or frozen
2 cups of rice or 2 boil in bags of rice
1 can of cream of broccoli soup (could also use cream of chicken but the overly chicken taste might not taste as good)
1 soup can of milk
handfull of shredded cheddar cheese (preferrably freshly shredded not pre shredded as it melts better.. and for the sake of your children don't use fat free cheese.. it doesn't melt well and it turns the meal into a rubber cment looking mess that tastes horrible.. trust me.)

For a chicken parmesian dinner complete steps for meal above except for the Cream of brocolli soup (and milk) and use one jar of favorite spaghetti sauce. Mix all together and add some parmesian cheese to the individual portions..

Jay610

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Be careful about what you feed your child. Found this link about feeding your child foods that contain nitrates its kinda lengthy but worth reading.

http://www.babybites.info/2008/06/12/breakfast-bacon/

dadoftwo

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »
There's so many easy and quick meal ideas. I just make the basic dishes, one of them is chicken salad that my boys love to eat. The only problem is that you need to have the meat grilled beforehand and use the leftover for quick meals the next day. I use the vinaigrette dressing on our chicken salad and I would add some cherry tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, croutons and shredded cheddar cheese on the dish.

shaun

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
I like to feed my kid's healthy food, healthy food can taste good. Last weekend I cooked a roasted chicken and vegetable salad, with tomatoes, cucumber, toasted butternut squash seeds and a homemade garlic aioli. They loved it!

TrekkerDad

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
I do most of the cooking, and all of the baking in my family. With a 4 year old and a 1 year old, it is indeed difficult to find the time to cook good meals. I'm also a prepper though, so I have the benefit of having just about any ingredient I might need for any meal on hand at any givee time. So i've come up with some hits to keep the family happy. I'll share a few as I get the time.

The all time favorite is pizza. I can get several servings of dairy, grains and veggies into them without them asking ""What's this?".

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup water (110*)
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon italian seasoning, or basil

Directions:
In large bowl, mix first 4 ingredients.
Mix water and oil; add to flour mixture.
Turn onto floured surface; knead for 2 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl; turning to grease top.
Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
Punch down; place on 12in, greased pizza pan.
Pat into a circle.
Layer toppings.
Bake at 400* for 20 minutes or until light brown.

or, if you have a bread machine, put everything in there and set it to the dough cycle. After the kneading has stopped, take it out, put it in the greased bowl and carry on from there. If you want a crispier crust, bake it first for 5-10 minutes before topping.

Sauce:
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, or tomato paste and water
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon parsley

Toppings:
Have fun!
I use shredded mozzarella, red onions, bell peppers, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes...well, shoot, I've tossed all kinds of stuff on there. Anything  works.

I also use fresh ground wheat flour (i love my grain mill), but you can use store bought wheat flour, all purpose flour, bread flour, whatever. This recipe is really forgiving. And always gets smiles. Especially when I let the princess help.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
That looks incredible Douglas!   My wife makes homemade pizza too.   The best thing about pizza is that the toppings that you can put on pizza are almost endless.   It's funny how you can disguise food to get your kids to eat better.   :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
That looks incredible Douglas!   My wife makes homemade pizza too.   The best thing about pizza is that the toppings that you can put on pizza are almost endless.   It's funny how you can disguise food to get your kids to eat better.   :)

Thanks! I know I get the biggest kick out of watching my daughter say, "I never like tomatoes," as she eats a pizza loaded with tomato slices and all kinds of other veggies. :)*

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
LOL   Yep.  It's the same here.   I can't help but laugh and when they ask me why I'm laughing I just tell them that life makes me laugh.   :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
Here's a really quick and easy one. Takes about 10-15 minutes to get it on the table. Works great when I've had the kids out, lost track of time, and realized I had to feed them something quick, preferably without doing takeout. I just call it chowder.

Take a couple cans of tuna, 8 ounces of any kind of pasta (we like rotini), a can of chicken broth, a can of cream of celery soup, and then either fresh, dried, frozen or canned veggies. I generally toss in carrots, green beans, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers. A little seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper finishes it off. Bring it to a simmer and cook until the pasta is ready. Depending on which kind of veggies you use, you alter the liquid content. If you use dried add some, if you use canned or frozen, don't.

First time I made it was because my wife wanted to do takeout because we "didn't have anything to eat in the house". I told her we did too much eating out and I would fix something. This is what I came up with. I didn't expect much, but it was the first time my daughter ever asked for seconds and my son didn't put it in his hair. My wife loved it and now requests it on the menu once at least once a week.

Just be warned, it tastes great, but it looks like crap!

hitekredneck13

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
I have a recipe or two.

My wife and I like using the crock pot (or slow cooker, depending on where you're from) and we have a fair amount of recipes for it. Here's one for now  :biggrin:

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken

Just as good, if not better than what you get in most restaurants!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon curry paste
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt
salt to taste

Directions:

1. Melt the butter and vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the spices, curry paste and tomato paste until no lumps of tomato paste remain. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the coconut milk, and yogurt. Season to taste with salt.

2. Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution