Author Topic: Ask The Chef  (Read 12787 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Re: Ask The Chef
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »
the FDA recommends throwing foods that were prepared in house (unpasteurized) away after seven days, the milk/cream, clams and potatoes will all degrade badly if you freeze this. The best way to cut down on ice crystals when freezing food is to freeze it quickly and with as little exposure to air as possible. Try breaking whats left into several smaller portions in containers that don't afford any air when sealed. Or you could give canning/jarring a try.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
the FDA recommends throwing foods that were prepared in house (unpasteurized) away after seven days, the milk/cream, clams and potatoes will all degrade badly if you freeze this. The best way to cut down on ice crystals when freezing food is to freeze it quickly and with as little exposure to air as possible. Try breaking whats left into several smaller portions in containers that don't afford any air when sealed. Or you could give canning/jarring a try.

I'll try the small container method.  I have a pot for canning, as well as some unused jars and lids, but I'm afraid of bacterial contamination.  The last thing I need is botulism.  I've done a few things in the past, but they've been pretty acidic, and I've been somewhat less concerned.  Thanks!

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Botulinium comes about from compromised seals and grows over time, if you cook and seal correctly botulism shouldn't be a problem. Campbell's soup does it all the time.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution