Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 40125 times)

jona816

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #450 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
Currently reading The Dark by James Herbert, I'm a sucker for horror :-) Had heard that this was pretty scary, unfortunately I'm more than half way through it and yet to get that feeling of being "scared". Not to say that it is a bad book or anything, it is rather enjoyable although I feel that it is currently losing some steam. Hopefully it will pick up again  :sigh:

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #451 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
had no idea he was an author!

I didn't either until I got 2 books from him for Christmas.  I got "A Salty Piece of Land" and "Swine Not?".  I haven't read "Swine Not?" yet.

Yes, he's a pretty good author too. I've only read one of his books, "Where Is Joe Merchant" and it was great! I loved the sea plane adventure and was hooked on Jimmy's story telling that is full of wit and wonder.

I found another book/author that is similar to Buffet. It was a great read that I finished last week. The book is "Red Right Return (Buck Reilly Adventure Series)" by John H. Cunningham.

Quote from: Book Description
Buck Reilly wants only three things out of life: A plane to fly, a treasure to find, and a beautiful woman to rescue. He’ll get his chance at all three in the first of John H. Cunningham’s new thriller series, RED RIGHT RETURN. Set against the stunning scenery and freaky fabulousness of the Florida Keys, Cunningham joins the ranks of Carl Hiaasen, Randy Wayne White and Papa himself in a rich new series for thrill seekers everywhere.

But Buck Reilly’s no ordinary hero. A product of his times and ours, too, he’s laying low and trying to fly under the radar in the aftermath of economic catastrophe. Back in his bad old days on Wall Street, Buck ran e-Antiquity, plundering the world’s treasures, (and a few of his investors’ pockets) for some pretty handsome profit. He wasn’t a bad guy back then, he just didn’t know any better. But life turned ugly when the market crashed, the company cratered and the FBI investigated the bankruptcy. When his marriage ended and his parents were killed in a car crash, Buck found out for certain that business wasn’t just business anymore.

These days, Buck’s a lot like the rest of us—trying to make ends meet and hoping for better times. He operates The Last Resort Salvage and Charter Company, flying a 1946 amphibious Grumman Widgeon, hunting for sunken treasure and taking on an occasional passenger, no questions asked. But when he faces down the dark forces of Santero priests, the underbelly of the Havana underworld and a pissed-off FBI agent, Buck has nothing but ingenuity, guts and his ancient flying boat to save his skin, and the lives he put in peril.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #452 on: August 22, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
So, with all the publicity around Hunger Games, I decided to read the trilogy (got a deal on Amazon), figuring I'd let the kiddo read it as well.

I have to say...I must be missing whatever book it is the rest of you read because I thought it was terrible.  The concept and the games were the best feature and even that seemed a little, "it's terrible because it does this, and it can also do this and some time later...what the hell, it can do THIS too!  Isn't it TERRIBLE?!"

And Katniss...oh man...if ever there was a more perfectly scripted entitled, spoiled, absurd teenage little $hit, I haven't read it.  She's flightly, flies into fits of rage and drama, she cries far too much, constantly has to be calmed or even sedated to unconsciousness (I'm not exaggerating), can't seem to make up her mind who she loves or wants to love, then she does this bi-polar swap for about 3 paragraphs where she's hardcore, then immediately falls back into her emo self.

I could go on, but I think it's clear didn't like it.  The action is ok, though I've read better (MUCH better).

I'll still let the kiddo read it...she'll probably like it.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #453 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
So, with all the publicity around Hunger Games, I decided to read the trilogy (got a deal on Amazon), figuring I'd let the kiddo read it as well.

I have to say...I must be missing whatever book it is the rest of you read because I thought it was terrible.  The concept and the games were the best feature and even that seemed a little, "it's terrible because it does this, and it can also do this and some time later...what the hell, it can do THIS too!  Isn't it TERRIBLE?!"

And Katniss...oh man...if ever there was a more perfectly scripted entitled, spoiled, absurd teenage little $hit, I haven't read it.  She's flightly, flies into fits of rage and drama, she cries far too much, constantly has to be calmed or even sedated to unconsciousness (I'm not exaggerating), can't seem to make up her mind who she loves or wants to love, then she does this bi-polar swap for about 3 paragraphs where she's hardcore, then immediately falls back into her emo self.

I could go on, but I think it's clear didn't like it.  The action is ok, though I've read better (MUCH better).

I'll still let the kiddo read it...she'll probably like it.

Wow! With a review like this I will have to read it.  :LMAO2:

I may read the first one to see what it is like. My son liked it, I'll probably just read his copy.... if I can find it in his room.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #454 on: August 23, 2012, 08:42:16 AM »
I read a book long ago called The Long Walk.  It was by Steven King and I loved that book.  I hadn't even heard of the Hunger Games until my in-laws came to visit the other day and told me about it.  My wife and I watched the movie that night...it wasn't too bad.   We enjoyed it.

However, it really seems to me that the Hunger games came from the idea behind The Long Walk.  If you like the idea behind The Hunger Games but didn't like the book.  Try out The Long Walk by King.   

Here is a link to The Long Walk on Amazon.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Walk-Stephen-King/dp/0451196716

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #455 on: August 23, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
That was a good book!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #456 on: August 23, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
That was a good book!

It was a VERY good book.    I also loved the Four Past Midnight by King as well.  It is just a collection of 4 short stories written by King when he was younger.    Here is a link.  http://www.amazon.com/Four-Past-Midnight-Stephen-King/dp/B00297HX0M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345727476&sr=8-3&keywords=four+past+midnight

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #457 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »
I read a book long ago called The Long Walk.  It was by Steven King and I loved that book.  I hadn't even heard of the Hunger Games until my in-laws came to visit the other day and told me about it.  My wife and I watched the movie that night...it wasn't too bad.   We enjoyed it.

However, it really seems to me that the Hunger games came from the idea behind The Long Walk.  If you like the idea behind The Hunger Games but didn't like the book.  Try out The Long Walk by King.   

Here is a link to The Long Walk on Amazon.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Walk-Stephen-King/dp/0451196716

Awesome book! I thought the same thing when I read the book summary for the hunger games. I definitely recommend it. It is one of my favorite Stephen King books. It was written when he wrote under the nom de plum of Richard Bachman. I read in in an anthology called the Bachman Books a long time ago. It is a great collection of Kings early works. "Rage", "Road Work", and "The Running Man" were written as Bachman and published in it with "The Long Walk". All good stories though like I said "The Long Walk" was my favorite.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #458 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
Read Four past Midnight also.  Also good!

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #459 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
In the middle of Stephen King's latest, 11/22/63.  WOW, this is amazing!

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #460 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
In the middle of Stephen King's latest, 11/22/63.  WOW, this is amazing!

I've been looking at this myself, and it is on my to be read list.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #461 on: September 05, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Just finished "Forgotten" by Doug Lucas

Enjoyed this one. Was a fast read.

Historical fiction has a foundation of truth but that truth is often shrouded in fiction. Some claim that only time and distance can separate the two.

We have all lived through events that have shocked or changed our nation.

The assassination of Martin Luther King, or John and Robert Kennedy, men traveling into space, and landing on the moon, and of course the bombing of the World Trade Center; these are just a few examples that have occurred in my life time. These are the pivotal events that surround us I and others think we know all of the important facts.

But do we remember? Ask yourself or a friend what date any of these events happened on, see if you or they can give the exact date or even some of the facts surrounding any of these or other major past events of your lifetime.

Americans are noted for their short memories, we invented the term "Attention Deficit Disorder" to describe it. We immerse ourselves in an event for a short time span, then quickly lay the event aside and move to the next. If those events didn't or don't affect us directly----they are quickly forgotten.

23 October 1983 is one of those forgotten events. One of those events where we felt we knew all the facts and then it was quickly forgotten. I ask one simple question---"Do you really know all of the facts?" There are hundreds of these events, forgotten by all but those who lived them.
I invite you to read "Forgotten", separate the history from the fiction. Another term to remember would be "Plausible Deniability", facts that did happen are handled in a manner that allows them to be denied by those who caused them to happen. Separating plausible deniability from fiction can be almost impossible. At times this is by design of those who use the term.

When you've finished reading this "Historical Fiction", ask yourself if you have forgotten.

You must decide, what is fact, what is fiction, and what could be plausible deniability shrouding truth.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #462 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »
I just read the first half of "Kiss the Girls" by James Patterson. Had to stop because I've already seen the movie and the script was just too close to the book...Couldn't get into it. With that said, it's still a great story (especially if you haven't seen the movie).

After that, I read James Patterson's "The Big Bad Wolf." I really enjoyed it for the most part but at the same time I felt like the villain was over-glorified. Also, I love the character of Alex Cross but his transition in this novel from DC Police to FBI seemed a bit...far fetched! LOL

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #463 on: October 23, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Just finished "The Wind Through the Keyhole" by Stephen King.
If anyone has read the King "Dark Tower" series, this is a new addition to it.  He calls it Dark Tower 4.5 as it takes place kind of between the 4th and 5th books.

In "The Wind Through the Keyhole," Stephen King returns to the rich landscape of Mid-World, the spectacular territory of the Dark Tower fantasy saga that stands as his most beguiling achievement. Roland Deschain and his ka-tet"--"Jake, Susannah, Eddie, and Oy, the billy-bumbler--encounter a ferocious storm just after crossing the River Whye on their way to the Outer Baronies. As they shelter from the howling gale, Roland tells his friends not just one strange story but two . . . and in so doing, casts new light on his own troubled past.

In his early days as a gunslinger, in the guilt-ridden year following his mother's death, Roland is sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape-shifter, a "skin-man" preying upon the population around Debaria. Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, the brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Only a teenager himself, Roland calms the boy and prepares him for the following day's trials by reciting a story from the "Magic Tales of the Eld "that his mother often read to him at bedtime. "A person's never too old for stories," Roland says to Bill. "Man and boy, girl and woman, never too old. We live for them." And indeed, the tale that Roland unfolds, the legend of Tim Stoutheart, is a timeless treasure for all ages, a story that lives for us.

King began the Dark Tower series in 1974; it gained momentum in the 1980s; and he brought it to a thrilling conclusion when the last three novels were published in 2003 and 2004. "The Wind Through the Keyhole "is sure to fascinate avid fans of the Dark Tower epic. But this novel also stands on its own for all readers, an enchanting and haunting journey to Roland's world and testimony to the power of Stephen King's storytelling magic.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #464 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
Once again, I keep forgetting to update until I've read a few books:

First Contact - Michael Hicks - Humans of the future make contact with an "alien" race that turns out to be a race of a$$ whuppers.  Decent characters, good action...got distracted by other books and stopped this one with about 5 chapters left.  Clearly it wasn't, "holy $hit I need to finish this!"

The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One - Joe Abercrombie
Fantasy novel - pretty well written, decent characters, good action here and there.  Not bad, though I haven't rushed out to buy the other books in the series, so...apparently I wasn't blown away.

Hounded/Hexed/Hammered - The Iron Druid Chronicles (3 separate books) - Kevin Hearne
Reminded me a lot of the Dresden files, though if I had to pick one, I'd say read the Dresden series (which you should anyway, still one of the best written characters I've read.  I've read the 11 books I have, twice).  Magic, demons, gods, witches, etc.  Good action, though the main character is supposed to be 2000 years old, but still acts like a teenager in some situations.  Kind of took me out of the story a few times, but overall, pretty good.

Started reading "Beyond Good & Evil" by Nietzsche - didn't get very far before a buddy recommended "Cloud Atlas"...

...which brings me to - I've started "Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell" based on a good friend's recommendation.  There's a movie coming out with Tom Hanks.  It's apparently 5 different stories and I'm still in the first story, so I can't say much about it, but I'm hopeful.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution