Author Topic: Books with influence beyond the pages  (Read 1556 times)

Offline davidAZ

• Does anyone need a Devil's Advocate? Anyone? *tap tap tap* Hello! Is this thing on?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
    • Associated Content Articles
Books with influence beyond the pages
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »
Are there any books that you might have read that have shaped your beliefs or personality?

I'm not just talking about books we remember, or that we've enjoyed... but how about the ones that have seeded themselves to a further degree?

For me, it is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn RandAtlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  It is a fictional story in experimental fashion about what might happen if the government begins equalizing everybody.  It really got me to thinking about my political views, and I realized that money and corporations aren't evil in themselves.  It also helped me understand that individuals can only carry so much weight before they begin damaging themselves in good intentioned efforts.

A while back ago, I once heard someday tell me that they don't read fiction because there's nothing to learn from it... thing book also showed me that this philosophy isn't necessarily true.

I recommend any title by this author because her writing is all about self-empowerment, the importance of greed and accomplishments.  The Fountainhead is another great example by her, but Atlas Shrugged is a very large volume to read and it's pretty much everything that she's wanted to say in one storyline.

I've heard rumors now and then that there's a movie being made of either the Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged, and that would be fun to see on the screen.  The Fountainhead was made into a movie a long time ago in black and white.

I've also heard some say that Atlas Shrugged has done nothing for them, so I guess it's in the eye of the reader.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:44:44 AM by davidAZ »
PS3 Online ID: davidAZ
Games Playing Online: Madden 07, Resistance: Fall of Man, Fight Night Round 3

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Books with influence beyond the pages
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
I've also heard that Atlas Shrugged was being worked on but there were scripting problems because the large volume of content that needed to be covered.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:32:27 PM »
The book that's affected me the most were two recent ones by Bernard Lewis.  These two book changed my outlook in how I view current world politics.  Only after understanding what he lays out in these texts, do I know understand the fundamentalist Muslim mindset and how utterly futile our war over there is.   

1)"What Went Wrong?: The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East"
What went wrong....

2) "The Crisis of Islam: Holy War and Unholy Terror"
The Crisis of Islam
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:34:07 PM by Frobozz »

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »
I read Citizen Hughes in high school for my government class. It was fascinating the way one man could gain such power and money.

It was very eye opening for me to see how much power can corrupt. It's also a good read that keeps you turning pages.

---------------------------------

The books you have both written about look interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »
G.K. Chesterton's work (and there's an unbelievable amount of it) has, by far, been enormously influential in my life.  In particular, Orthodoxy, The Everlasting Man, and The Man Who Was Thursday (all pictured below).  And Hermann Hesse's Narcisuss and Goldmund also had a profound impact on me.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution