Author Topic: Your day(s) off.  (Read 3281 times)

Captain Tuttle

Your day(s) off.
« on: February 09, 2007, 08:35:42 AM »
I know there's only a couple of SAHD's on the site anymore but I was wondering what you do on your day off?  Or do you even get one?  Or for the Dad's who work and whose wives stay home, do you give her at least a day or two a week where she doesn't have to deal with the kids?

My wife's pretty good about giving me time off...she's always telling me to take weekend trips to see friends.  She also does everything on Friday nights (so I can kick your asses!!  :chairshot:) and watches both kids about 90% of the time on Saturday.

Offline Jim

• NOTHING GREATER THAN A GATOR!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • DP. Best damn site ever.
    • Myspace
Re: Your day(s) off.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
This is a HUGE sore spot in our house. I'm usually off on Tuesdays and Friday or Saturday and when she asks me to do something, I tell het it's my day off and I don't wanna do anything but relax and then she asks me when she gets her day off. I look her straight in the eyes and I say, "What do you need done, dear?" LOL.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »
I work M-F.   Any time that I'm home mornings, evenings, Saturdays, Sundays, holidays.... my wife considers that to be her off time.  So I'm either at work or acting as primary care for the kids.   

Offline davidAZ

• Does anyone need a Devil's Advocate? Anyone? *tap tap tap* Hello! Is this thing on?
  • Big Daddy Hero
    • Associated Content Articles
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm a SAHD, and for the moment, I think my wife works harder than I do.  This is because she has a job that requires a lot of traveling, she's in an online school to get her MBA (being paid for by her work :) ), and my daughter's 2 1/2 and feels that if mom's home, mom has to be the one doing things for her.  This last part is frustrating (no, momma get water!), but it's just her perception and it's just a phase thing.

That being said, if I truly want a day to myself, once a month or so my wife will let me take off on my own where-ever, but it's not too often that I want it like this.  If I get those chances, then I'll go fishing, hiking, or hit a sports card show or something.

The thing in our circumstance is that my wife could often be out of town from Monday to Thursday, and I like seeing her when I can.

The best thing is on weekends, we'll get out and do what we like/need.

And she's well aware of helping out with our daughter, and we switch off on tasks when it can be done (baths and such).

Mostly though, on weekends, I can do things like work on the yard, cars, or whatever and not worry about taking care of my daughter, and I actually like doing this stuff.  And the nights pretty much belong to me regardless... I've always been a night bird so my daughter gets to bed about 9p and I'll crack a beer and watch a movie, play games, or surf the internet until midnight or so.
PS3 Online ID: davidAZ
Games Playing Online: Madden 07, Resistance: Fall of Man, Fight Night Round 3

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »
I work a weird shift right now..  12 hours a day, 2 days on and 2 days off..     On my off days, my wife and I either split the parenting up or I let her go do something for her.  I honestly don't get much time to myself and I don't really need it, but occasionally I do want to be alone..    And on my days off (from my job) I do like to work on the site, play the 360 or work out in the yard..   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Aegen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »
I pretty much have a 9- 5er. I work in the IT field, but my network runs pretty smooth and there is very rarely any after hours work. But when I get home, dinner is typically just about done. I help with the clean up process. But other than finishing up dinner preparations, the kids responsibilities are shared. Its kind of like a zone defense. The parent closest is the one responsible. lmao.

Anyhow, before she got pregnant I had been trying to get her into some after work activity she might like. Like yoga, or ceramics or something she could get out of the house on her own and meet with some people. She just hadn't found the right activity or group.

Swoffords Dad

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »
What is the  D-AAA-Y OOOO-FF???

Seriously I work a regular job,  then i come home and cook on alternate days. I take care of my child from the time I walk through the door till the time he goes to bed. Then I take care of the wifes needs ( :biggrin:)...and if I have work left i usually do it then or thats when i take time to myself. The weekends are busy with the other businesses I help to run...then Its back to the same grind on monday.

I do howvere spend at least two hours a day of uninterrupted play with my child...and nothing short of a disaster would prevent me from doing that....its good for both of us.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »
You sound like a good dad there Darren.  I'm much like the other non SAHD's that replied. In the morning help get the kids ready work and when I get home it's dinner immediately and as much kid time as I can get.  Bath's are my responsibility by choice. I like the time together bonding and use it for splash play as well as helping learn parts of the body. heads, shoulders knees and toes ad such.  After they go to bed it's time with the wife or working on my business until I can't see and go to bed.  We try to share the load since my wife works also.  Divide and conquer. 
I do envy you SAHD's though.  Always told my wife to go out and make the big bucks cause I would love to stay home with the kids.  Maybe someday when I hit the lottery!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:18:57 PM by Keith H »

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

AtHomeDaddy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »
I am a SAHD.  In the past I had a sweet gig going.  The wife really wanted to spend as much time as possible with the kids on weekends, to make up for the other 5 days working 12-15 hours.  On Sat and after church on Sunday I just sorta tagged along.

But as the kids get older and more involved in sports and activities, my free time is taking a hit.  Now that I am coaching a soccer team for my son, Sat mornings are gone.  And I rooked myself into helping with a class at church, so now Sundays are busy, too.

I try to steal a few minutes after the kids go to bed to work on my old truck or to sit at the computer, but then it looks like I am ignoring the wife. :hairpull:

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 08:54:03 PM »
Not enough minutes in the day are there MIke!  Sounds like you have a full schedule.  Hope the wife understands you need some down time also

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:34 AM »
this is a topic that starts a lot of arguments in my household, before my wife was on disability i would watch the kids mon thru fri and when she got home id either do yard work or get to my regular work. dvd authoring and writing for magazines are two things that work on heavy deadlines so it's not uncommon for my neighbors to see me sitting in my rocking chair on my porch typing or programming away at 4 in the morning. oh did i menion im also an insomniac? :biggrin:
well long story short i dont sleep, i work all night and then get up in the morning and take 1 kid to school and prepare the other for the day. all the while letting my wife have as much free time as she wants, But when i want the time to do something it almost always starts an argument. when i do have free time it usually involves motorsports and thats the second problem. common comeback from her is when she goes to the movies i know i wont be picking her up from the hospital at the end of the night :no_teeth:

although it sounds like a lot to go through weve been married for 13 years and it's all been happy, we usually come to compromises like if i want free time to ride i go to a trackday instead of hitting up the twisty roads in the area, and i also get to travel, i always tell it's all work but come on if you work for a magazine and hang out at events with the people i do you cant not have fun.

overall things always work out for both of usand we get to do what we want to do. :excited:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution