Author Topic: Aviation Returns to Ford Island  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Aviation Returns to Ford Island
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:33:23 PM »
Navy News | Devin Wright | March 23, 2006
Pearl Harbor, HI. - The Pacific Aviation Museum held a groundbreaking ceremony March 21 for the restoration of Hangar 37 at historic Ford Island here.

The museum will include aircraft from the World War II era, the Korean War, Vietnam War and Cold War as well as modern air power.

"We want to return aviation and aviation heritage to Ford Island," said Allen Palmer, Pacific Aviation Museum director. "What better place than where aviation in the Pacific was cradled and then all but destroyed on Dec. 7, 1941?"

Ford Island has a rich history of aviation and was a major platform in the Pacific for military aviators.

Rear Adm. Michael C. Vitale commander, Navy Region Hawaii said the aviation museum completes the major groupings to help tell the legacy of the sacrifice that took place at Pearl Harbor.

"This museum will represent another historical vignette to keep the memory of what happened here 64 years ago alive," said Vitale. "We have the Arizona Memorial here which represents and tells the story of the beginning of the war. We have Missouri that tells the story of the end of the war. There is the Bowfin Museum that tells the story of the Navy's involvement. Now this aviation museum will continue to fill that vision of what happened on the aviation side," he said.

For some aviators, the museum will serve as a tribute to those who lost their lives in the cockpit.

"I don't know of an aviation museum that really honors aviators that lost their lives in the Pacific theater," said retired Air Force Gen. Chuck Yeager. "This will be a marvelous museum to consolidate all of the things that happened here and honor those who were killed not only in the air but on land and sea as well."

The planned $75 million museum will eventually encompass 16 acres on Ford Island, including Hangars 37, 54 and 79 and the control tower complex.

Construction on Phase 1 is set to begin immediately. The projected grand opening is for Dec. 7, 2006.

Article Linkback: http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,91953,00.html

This is the first post of positive military type articles that I am going to try to post here on a regular basis. There is so much negative crap out there in the media that I feel we need to be reminded of some good stuff.

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor on the USS Los Angeles (SSN-688). I remember Ford Island as being more of a catch all part of the base. A lot of storage and some training facilities, but for the most part it was empty. I think it's really cool that they are going to put this museum there. If I ever get back there I will be sure to visit it.

TAZZFANN

Re: Aviation Returns to Ford Island
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »
 :nothing:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution