Author Topic: Parenting Tips and Tricks  (Read 17368 times)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
Parenting Tips and Tricks
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where the experienced dads can post some tips and tricks for taking care of your kids.  Whether it be discipline, fun, or whatever. 

A couple of mine:
  ~put a couple sheets on the mattress at one time.  that way, if you have to change it in the middle of the night for whatever reason, there is another one under it.  We use 2 layers of the incredible sheet from Babies R Us.  Waterproof on one side and soft on the other.

~When eating out use throw away table matts.  You can buy them at Target or Wal-Mart.  They are plastic  with Sesame Street or Dora on them even.  back side has 2 sticky strips.  Attach it to the table before the food arrives.  That way the food can fall off the plate onto something clean and also makes for easy clean up

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Parenting Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:35:59 AM »
Great idea Randy!

~ To help baby sleep the night through. When they are about a month old add a small amount of rice cereal to the formula/breast milk. Start with a teaspoon per bottle at first and see how much it helps. I think we used three teaspoons with Jeremy and he was satisfied and sleeping. It takes a little longer to digest, so they sleep longer than two hours at a shot.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
But how did you get the rice cereal into the breast?   :biggrin:

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »
LOL! 
Here's another.  We were told about a book/video called The Happiest Baby on The Block.  It's tips to get the baby to settle when he/she is fussing.  helped us tremendously

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
Baby wipes - not just for butts. Keep them handy for spills too.  They clean up stains pretty good on carpet and upholstery.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »
If you have kids due soon and pets at home, especially for a dog, while the baby is still in the hospital, bring home the little hat the baby wears or the blankets he/she is wrapped in and place them around the house where your dog sleeps or hangs out so the dog can get used to the baby's scent.  Make sure the dog smells the baby on you also.  he/she will accept the new addition better.  Worked like a charm for us.

Also, when in the hospital..take EVERYTHING you can get your hands on! LOL.  our nurse told us that.  Take the little bottles of formula they give you, swaddling blankets, diapers, etc.  When the nurses change tell the new one you are out of whatever and then stick them in your bag.  Will help when you get home since everything will be topsy turvy at least you will have some stuff around to get you started.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »
Great suggestions Randy..    We robbed the hospital everytime.   LOL

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:59:24 PM »
Since we have some new dads here I thought I'd add to this post and bring it back out:

In the back of the car keep a plastic tub thing with a lid that has an extra change of clothes, sun block, wipes, diapers... so in case of an emergency... it's all right there.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »
Excellent idea Randy...   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:38:28 AM »
Put a safety gate at the top of your stairs and ALWAYS keep it closed.  i learned the hard way.  Story in my blog

beorn33

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »
When making bottles with powdered formula, make all the bottles at once, (just without the water), that way when screaming starts it takes half the time.  We portion bottles out once a day, that way a bottle can always be ready in under a minute.

qingdaotodd

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 06:03:47 AM »
If you have kids due soon and pets at home, especially for a dog, while the baby is still in the hospital, bring home the little hat the baby wears or the blankets he/she is wrapped in and place them around the house where your dog sleeps or hangs out so the dog can get used to the baby's scent.  Make sure the dog smells the baby on you also.  he/she will accept the new addition better.  Worked like a charm for us.

Also, when in the hospital..take EVERYTHING you can get your hands on! LOL.  our nurse told us that.  Take the little bottles of formula they give you, swaddling blankets, diapers, etc.  When the nurses change tell the new one you are out of whatever and then stick them in your bag.  Will help when you get home since everything will be topsy turvy at least you will have some stuff around to get you started.
Not working in China. LOL
You have to pay for those like blankets, diapers, formulars,...

dadof2b0ys

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »
Since we have some new dads here I thought I'd add to this post and bring it back out:

In the back of the car keep a plastic tub thing with a lid that has an extra change of clothes, sun block, wipes, diapers... so in case of an emergency... it's all right there.

That would have very useful on my last road trip.

Keep some large zippered zip lock bags in your glove box. Thank of it as a sealable doggie bag for your car. Pretty handy in a pinch. Like when you a driving on curving mountain roads in the middle of nowhere with no shoulders, and no place to stop and you find out both of your kids get car sick!

Bo Diddly III

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
this post is sweet! I'm headed to wal-mart now  :rollinglaugh: no really I am!

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
You know those home vacuum seal bags?  Yeah - I have all of us a change of clothes in those things.  We live in tornado country - so, I actually have an "oh shit box" (OSB).

In it, for everybody we have:
2 changes of clothes
1 pair of shoes (flip flops work)
1 bicycle helmet
a couple of meals worth of non-perishable food
a first aid kit
a handgun (because, people are nuts in an emergency)
duct tape
etc, etc, etc.

The helmets were an addition after the OSB was made.  I figured, if there's a tornado, we get into our "interior room" - you still have nothing to really protect your head ... :)

The shoes and clothes are due to - you're asleep and need to get to the room in a hurry --- no time to change into clothes and grab shoes ... and, this way, the clothes are dry when you put them on.
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution