Author Topic: Adoptive Dad Head Count  (Read 7200 times)

Offline floridamcmarion1

• Proud Daddy Of Khadijah, Joe, Bryan & Faith
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Maybe it's about time I get a pic of myself put up
Adoptive Dad Head Count
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »
This thread is so all of the adoptive fathers can introduce ourselves and we can know who we all are.  Please give a brief description of all of your children, be they adopted, biological, foster or acquired some other way. 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:13:11 AM by floridamcmarion1 »
Marion

"Some people collect stamps.....but me....I collect children.  If I collect any more I'll have to trade my van in for a bus!"

Offline floridamcmarion1

• Proud Daddy Of Khadijah, Joe, Bryan & Faith
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Maybe it's about time I get a pic of myself put up
Re: Adoptive Dad Head Count
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »
My wife and I, unable to have biological children, decided to enter foster care with the goal of adopting.  We had many ups and downs that way, getting our hearts broken more than once when a child was with us for a long time only to be returned to a bad situation, but did end up building our family mostly through foster care. 

Our first adoption was an 8 year old boy (now 10) who came to us when he was 7.  He spent the first six years of his life enduring the worst abuse and neglect you can imagine.  He has severe ADHD as well as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a low IQ.  He has made tremendous improvement since we got him, including a 27 point gain in his IQ score.  Three years ago he couldn't even read the alphabet, but now he is reading at a 4th grade level and spelling at a fifth grade level.  He is currently in special education in the third grade. 

Our second adoption was our youngest, who is now 21 months.  We got her as a private adoption so we could get a newborn we got to keep.  My wife was in the operating room when she was born by C-section, while I was pacing outside.  I, however, got to feed her her first bottle and change her first diaper!  Her biological mother insisted that we stay in the hospital room with her until our daughter was discharged, so we really did get to have a fairly normal birth experience with her!  She is way ahead developmentally and seems to be our family genius!

Our third adoption was our 5 year old son who we got when he was 22 months and adopted when he was 4.  He is also special needs with behavioral and developmental issues.  He was exposed to cocaine in the womb, as well as his biological mother not receiving proper nutrition while she was pregnant (he came to the attention of the system when his mother was 6 months pregnant and found high digging through garbage cans looking for dinner).  He has also made great improvements, though his behavior is still quite challenging.  We have already been told by a psychiatrist that he may have Oppositional Defiance Disorder as well as Sensory Integration Disorder.  His mother is paranoid schizophrenic, which means he has a 50% chance of developing schizophrenia when he gets older.

Our fourth child is a former foster child.  She is now 13 and came to us when she was 11.  We had her about six months when she was returned to her biological mother.  About a year and a half later her biological mother called us to see if we would take her back.  We are now her legal guardians until she turns 18.  Basically, her mother is working two full time jobs trying to raise 5 children by herself.  She has already gotten rid of 3 other children by sending them to their biological fathers.  She really only wants her youngest daughter, but can't figure out how to get rid of the others since their fathers won't take them.  She has a bit of an attitude, but her main problem is the need to feel loved and wanted.  Since being back with us for about 4 months now her grades have improved dramatically and she has been in much less trouble at school.  She still almost got expelled, but things are improving. 

A short time ago the local newspaper did an article on my family that I am actually proud of.  We agreed to the interview in the hopes of bringing positive attention to foster care and adoption.  I think the article did this.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060402/LIFESTYLES/60401005/1013

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:20:44 AM by floridamcmarion1 »
Marion

"Some people collect stamps.....but me....I collect children.  If I collect any more I'll have to trade my van in for a bus!"

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:28:05 PM »
I commend you on being such a great dad!   I have 3 kids and my life is rough, but I wouldn't have it any other way!    It really does sound like you and your wife have made lots of kids lives better.   I look up to you man...   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline davidAZ

• Does anyone need a Devil's Advocate? Anyone? *tap tap tap* Hello! Is this thing on?
  • Big Daddy Hero
    • Associated Content Articles
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:45:19 PM »
Sounds like you're not just a great dad, but an outstanding member of the community.  There's not enough good stories like this, thanks.
PS3 Online ID: davidAZ
Games Playing Online: Madden 07, Resistance: Fall of Man, Fight Night Round 3

Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 03:35:23 AM »
I am in the capitol of California.  I have 7 children.

Sandi is 24 married with a beautiful daughter.  she is the product of my first marriage.

Megan is 22 a junior at a private university 3 hours away.  she is the product of my wife's first marriage (I've been her daddy tor 19 years).

Sean is 22 (22 hours younger than Megan) a Microsoft Network Engineer.  he is the product of my first marriage.

Amanda is 20 in Boot Camp .  she is the product of my wife's first marriage (I've been her daddy tor 19 years).

Caleb was a foster child that was 26 months when we got him.  We were his 4th foster home in 3 months.  He is RAD (radical attachment disorder) bipolar, PTSD, and in the SED (severely emotionally disturbed) special day class.  Caleb is now 9, in 5th grade and at 5'0" and 130 lb quite a hand full.

Bethany was also a foster child we got her at 26 months also,from McDonald's, she did not sleep (literally) the first 2 weeks she was in our home.  Bethy has PTSD, RAD, learning disabilities, and is in the SED class.  She is now 8 and in 2nd grade.

Michal was also a foster child we got her at 7 months she weighed 11 lbs.  She was 11 days in detox for meth at birth, the county actually sent her with the bios for a few months!  Se was in another foster "home" for 4 months.  Michal is now 6, starting first grade and the top of her class.

Sheri, My wife homeschooled Megan from 4th grade through HS and Amanda 2nd through 9th nd the little guys through Calebs's third grade year.  My Sweet-Young-Thing now has Fibromialgya (sp).

I am 50 work at a local City Public Works (20 Years) Several years ago I told a co-worker "My job is raising kids, this just pays the bills"

Steve

Offline davidAZ

• Does anyone need a Devil's Advocate? Anyone? *tap tap tap* Hello! Is this thing on?
  • Big Daddy Hero
    • Associated Content Articles
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:41:24 AM »
I've got to give Steve a standing ovation  :up:
PS3 Online ID: davidAZ
Games Playing Online: Madden 07, Resistance: Fall of Man, Fight Night Round 3

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:52:46 AM »
What a dad!   It just goes to show how selfish I am!   I have 3 kids and I get depressed sometimes because I don't have anytime to do what I want.     And then I see someone like Steve here who has 7 kids and probably doesn't think that at all....     So, just as David said.   Steve gets a standing ovation in my book too!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:59:41 AM »
Wow Steve, I am speechless.   You have done some truly amazing work.

reddaddie

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:38:47 AM »
I'm Steve (above) I thought my Daddy Placeblog log-in would work here (wrong again)

Thanks for the kudos It doesn't feel heroic until you see it spelled out like that.  I am blogging at Daddy Place blog look for Father's Fellowship.

Captain Tuttle

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »
Hey Steve, welcome to the site!

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
Welcome Steve!

I must say you are one hell of a dad and you have an awesome family. You and your wife deserve tons of kudos.

oj467

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »
I'm a new member and an adoptive parent.

My wife and were diagnosed with "unexplained failure to conceive" (nice huh?  a medical term for "we don't know") and went through 5 failed IVF cycles before deciding to adopt. 

Our first match ended up in a failed adoption (the 16 year old girl changed her mind 2 weeks before her due date and decided to parent).  Then we were matched with a wonderful young lady in California. 

Our son was born in February of 2005 and he is half Hispanic and half Filipino and the most wonderful little guy in the world.

We are currently in the process of adopting again - this time through the Korea Program and hope to be matched sometime within the next few months.

If anyone has any questions about our failed IVF's, domestic adoption or upcoming Korean adoption feel free to ask.

~Bill

euskera

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
New to the site.  My wife and I have a 2yr old (adopted from FL at 2 days old).  She's bi-racial and a little princess.   

We had a baby for 3 days in Ohio back in 2004 and the birth mom changed her mind.  I'd do it ALL over again if it meant getting her..

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 07:46:07 PM »
Hey Euskera, welcome to the site.  Glad to have you aboard.    :ni:

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »
WOW is all i got to say, standing ovations to all you guys for making the differnce in your childrens life. they may not now but someday they will appreciate what you did for them.
im also in california in the bay area and have a 5 year old son with Sensory Integration Disorder, as well as spatial awerness problems, he's not really a problem anymore as weve been working hard with him. my wife and i were considering adopting a child as we dont want to risk having a child with muscular dystrophy, but we dont know if we could handle the stress and needs of another child as well as problems that usually arrise with adopted children. so how exactly does the korean adoption work and do you guys find that children adopted from out of country aclimate better with the family and have less problems?

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution