Author Topic: HOW TO: Check your NAT and change.  (Read 24947 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
HOW TO: Check your NAT and change.
« on: November 24, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »
Check your NAT everyonce in awhile to amke sure it's open.  Open is where you want to be with your NAT setting!

Everyone wants or should try to be OPEN (so you can connect to anyones games and you can host games and other people will see you and connect to you)

SO go to your XBOX 360 dashboard and move over to System then Connection settings. Wait for the test to finish then look at what your NAT tells you (remember OPEN, STRICT, or MODERATE) then click on more details and it will give you a brief explanation on what NAT is.

1. Lets say you have a STRICT connection and you are hosting a game (ex. Call of Duty 2) you will only be able to hear people that have STICT or MODERATE NAT's. If you had an OPEN NAT then it would never matter who connected when you hosted. If you want to know more about NAT go to your XBOX 360 dashboard and move over to System then Connection settings. Wait for the test to finish then look at what your NAT tells you (remember OPEN, STRICT, or MODERATE) then click on more details and it will give you a brief explanation on what NAT is.

IF YOU DONT HAVE A MICROSOFT CERTIFIED ROUTER OR GATEWAY! (and to get an desirable OPEN NAT)

1. The first thing you must do is make sure that UPnP is enabled. This stands for Universal Plug and Play (used for gaming the most)

2. Since you don’t have a Microsoft certified router or gateway you need to go to the Port forwarding option and make sure the following setting are in.

UDP 88

UDP 3074

TCP 3074

This will make sure you router (In my case) has all ports open when connecting to Xbox 360 live so that you get an OPEN NAT. Just an FYI I am using a Linksys WRT54gx version 2 router (Not Cert. by Microsoft)

HERE IS WHAT NAT LOOKS LIKE IN A NUT SHELL.

To make this easy for everyone, we’ve created a chart for your use.

To Open
To Moderate
To Strict

From Open
Yes
Yes
Yes

From Moderate
Yes
Yes
No

From Strict
Yes
No
No

Suppose you want to host an Xbox Live game and you’re using a router that’s classified as open. Armed with that information and using the chart above, you can be confident that your router’s NAT type will not keep your friends (who may also be using routers) from finding your session, hearing your voice, and enjoying a great game.

But let’s say you’re behind a router that’s a strict NAT. When you want to host a game, you now have something to consider. Anyone else who’s behind a router that uses a moderate or strict NAT may not be able to connect to your session.

Let’s look at one final example going the other direction: you joining someone else’s game. Will you be able to participate fully with everyone in the game? If you have a moderate NAT on your home network, you can get an idea of what may happen by looking at the chart. If the players you want to play with are using strict NATs, you will likely experience problems. You may not be able to hear them and they may not be able to hear you. You may not be able to see those players at all.

Note NATs don’t affect lag; this is all about connecting to other players!

Hope this works..  Anymore info?   Add to this thread.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Re: HOW TO: Check your NAT and change.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »
Also you can put your xbox in the DMZ, for info on doing this go to your router manufacturers website and search for DMZ for step by step instructions

GiftedPlacebo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
My router was in the certified list, but Xbox still showed it not being open, so I had to do a firmware upgrade. My firmware was listed as compatible, but it didn't show as open until I updated to a later, unlisted on the compatibility list, version. For reference, I have a Linksys WRT54G and I upgraded to firmware 4.21.1

Firmware versions are available from the manufacturer's website.

Offline Magoo

• I bought my keyboard from an online discount house. I guess it was cheap because it was missing the "H"
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
grr i give up,followed instructions thru dmz,made no difference,now to cap it all,my upstrem reads 192 kbps,it should be 1 and half meg,been onto provider,they've run line tests and cant find fault,i run line test on providers webby and it reads .95 kbps,suggestions any1?.

AIRWAVES

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
DmZ will have no effect on your line speed. It would have to be another router issue. I asume you rebooted it a few times after you wait like 5 min. this will give you a new IP address in most cases. But then again my IP has only changed twice in 10 years. What router is it? You could try going straight into your modem if you have one. I use router modem combo for best service. If you have good line speed with just modem you can try to reset the router back to default by pushing the reset button on the back of the router. Then try speed through router again and if bad you know your router is bad.

I run my router/modem to a 24 port switch then out to another 5 port switch in my ent. center and I have no NAT problems and my router is not on approved list and does not support upnp. As long as you forward the ports list above you should be golden.

GiftedPlacebo

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »
grr i give up,followed instructions thru dmz,made no difference,now to cap it all,my upstrem reads 192 kbps,it should be 1 and half meg,been onto provider,they've run line tests and cant find fault,i run line test on providers webby and it reads .95 kbps,suggestions any1?.

It is normal for upstream to be orders of magnitude slower than you downstream bandwidth on most broadband connections. If you have ADSL or cable modem, upstream is probably 128-256kbps and downstream 1-10mbps. Only if you have SDSL or an expensive business type connection (DS1, DS3, etc) will you have upstream connections 1.5 mbps and higher. DS1 = 1.54mbps up/down.

Offline Magoo

• I bought my keyboard from an online discount house. I guess it was cheap because it was missing the "H"
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »
i'm an arse m8,i meant downstream is only 192 kbps,my upstream is 448 kbps which is max for here.

AIRWAVES

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »
your down is less then up????

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
try hooking directly to your modem and see if you get the right speeds, if you do the router is crap or set up wrong, if not I would recommend a new cat5 cable

ChiefPttyoffcr

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »

Thought I would add this as I just learned it last night.

My router has had its NAT open since I joined live and
have been playing cod4, however yesterday I was having
connection problems with other dad members.

Turns out that I had a marketplace demo dl whenever I
wasnt playing on live, even though the dl stopped before
any game it changed my NAT to strict , even while it was
just "pending"

I cancelled the demo dl , I deleted it off my hard drive and
then ran the test and sure enough when I cancelled the
dl the NAT was open again.

I didnt realize that dl demo's would auto change my router
NAT from open to strict.....maybe this will help somebody
1 day.

Chief.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:53:50 AM »

Magoo, go to this site: http://www.dslreports.com/tools
and run the "tweak test" and the "line quality test".  It's probably necessary to tweak some of the net settings within Windows and this will help you do so.

Offline Magoo

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
yes m8,down is less than up.

AIRWAVES

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 08:48:18 AM »
Never heard of that before. But up is all you care about for gaming anyway. PCpitstop.com has some good tests also and they are free too. Try the trace route one and check ping times.

Offline Magoo

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:21 PM »
sorted,turns out the house alarm was strangling the bandwidth,silent alarm to cop shop,the guy who fitted the alarm was talkin out his ass,he reckoned the alarm wouldnt affect BB,he was lookin sheepish when i got home from work lol,so all done,thx for the help anyway ppl,much appreciated.

Magoo

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
great to hear you got it fixed Magoo

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution