Author Topic: Are you for peace or war?  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Are you for peace or war?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
Why is it that whenever I watch anything relating to current events, I feel outnumbered in this- and yet here, we seem to have a near majority?  The media, politicians, and so on, portray ourselves as vulgar, fighting a hopless battle, and in it recklessly.

I find it interesting, because this thread is odd in that so far everyone agrees for the most part. Most other groups that I am in and have been in swing back and forth and there is a lot of controversy. What little differences there are here are talked about and our members actually listen to each other. This is rather refreshing. I think you might feel outnumbered only because you choose to have your own thoughts rather than what is spoon fed to you from a media designed to feed controversy. Controversy sells!

Why are our elected officials trying to bring home our troops, clearly dismissing the fact that it could be damaging to simply pull-out?  I feel bad for the lives we've lost, and their families.  But it's better that it is them rather than our civilians in Atlanta, LA, or New York.

That is one of my biggest questions of all. When you look at history and compare the amount of time and the things we have accomplished with the number of troops we have lost you can see that we are doing damn well. The media will not acknowledge that, instead they are going to publish each individual death and make an issue of it so they can stir the conflict and sell the news. Yes we have lost over 2,000 troops, but wow look at the things we have accomplished. I am very impressed that we have only lost the numbers we have. I feel bad for there families too, but by the same token those same troops are doing it because they want to and need to. I know this need. I been there and done that. I felt that same need on 9-11 and was frustrated as hell when I knew I was too old to go back in and do my part in the military again. If we pull out it will be nearly like it was in '91 leaving a job unfinished that will have to be finished later at a higher cost.

Sometimes I feel like we're in a nation of dogs.  Whenever the media, or a politician has a bone or a red bouncy ball to wave, everyone in unison looks this way or that.  And the man with the ball smiles because he's gotten our attention.

I like to think of myself as more of a cat in this instance. I might look at the ball if it is interesting and I might study it for some time, but I will then look at the moron grinning at me expecting me to do his bidding and lift my leg and clean myself.  8)

Offline davidAZ

• Does anyone need a Devil's Advocate? Anyone? *tap tap tap* Hello! Is this thing on?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
    • Associated Content Articles
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 02:58:49 PM »
Sometimes I feel like we're in a nation of dogs.  Whenever the media, or a politician has a bone or a red bouncy ball to wave, everyone in unison looks this way or that.  And the man with the ball smiles because he's gotten our attention.

I like to think of myself as more of a cat in this instance. I might look at the ball if it is interesting and I might study it for some time, but I will then look at the moron grinning at me expecting me to do his bidding and lift my leg and clean myself.  8)

I like where you took this  8)
PS3 Online ID: davidAZ
Games Playing Online: Madden 07, Resistance: Fall of Man, Fight Night Round 3

Archimedes

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »
I'm kinda late coming in on this one, and haven't had time to read all of the posts. But, I will go back and read them later to catch up.

I just wanted to fess up that, I voted "Against the Wars", simply because 2 wrongs don't make a right.

War (violence, destruction, hate) + Terrorism (violence, destruction, hate) = more violence, destruction, and hate.

I know that the attacks on September 11, 2001 (which is what they should be referred to, not simply 911) where very shocking and pretty messed up. I was at work, in Oak Ridge, TN, less than half a mile from one of the biggest nuclear research facilities (and then some...) in the country, and also where Little Man and Fat Boy where created. There are still so many theories and loose facts around those attacks, that it's really hard to make any absolute statements about "Who", "How", or "Why" it happened the ways it did. Here are 2 websites that offer some interesting and substancial information that points more towards conspiracy, or at least things not smeared through the mainstream media (another major tool for promoting propaganda).

http://www.infowars.com

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

I could rant on this for days. I DO greatly appreciate all of our troops, the ones who are truly putting their lives on the line for their families and country, and for our freedom. I just feel that they are being mislead, misinformed, and misused by the powers that be, for their own greedy and deceitful intentions, in the name of patriotism.

The only way to really keep these people from hating Americans... is to show them our good side, our love, and compassion for seeing ALL fellow humans have the same opportunities that we have, to truly experience freedom as we know it here in the US. I think that a lot of our troops have shown these people this side generosity and concern, and that's why the majority of them have welcomed and supported our troops, and not completely ran us out of there in the past 5 years.

Anyways, I will write more on this later.

Take care and God bless.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »
Thanks for weighing in jason.  :)

I respect your viewpoint and agree with a lot of it, especially how two wrongs do not make a right; however, I disagree with showing our good side standing alone against the face of the radicals that tend to permeate the middle east. Though I have not witnessed it first hand, I have heard from what I consider a reliable source that there are many schools in the middle east, yes schools that teach a radical view of Islam that hates any and all things remotely American or western culture. It puts the hatred of our people on a religious level. The same level as eating pork if you will, except worse in that it is not their goal to hunt out and terrorize pigs.

I definitely agree that a lot of people in Iraq that were against us have had a change of heart after seeing the quality and honor ability of the people that make up the armed forces; however before that the only view of us they had was through their government. A skewed view that put us in a light as evil doers. Were there other means of changing that view? I'm sure there were, but when and how? How many more world trade centers have to be lost because radical islamists are aloud to roam free to train their legions in hate and terror to set on the world.

Please do not think that I do not realize the loss of innocent lives that has happened due to the conflict. What sets it apart from the world trade center are a few things. First our fighting is not designed to target the innocent and terrorize on purpose. It is designed to remove the cancer as surgically as possible. Second we don't sneak in under cover and kill with abandon. Heck we announced so many times we were going into Iraq I find it rather surprising that we didn't find a vacancy sign in the middle of a dusty abandoned office when we finally got in country. We bombed the heck out of the cities in Iraq, but rather than just letting them fly and leveling everything in sight we dropped smart bombs attempting again to minimize civilian casualties. If it were Bin Ladden dropping the bombs he would have used smart bombs as well, but they would have targeted hospitals, schools, places of worship, and any high population facilities he could target.

I hate war. I hate seeing innocent lives lost. Over all though I would hate more that there is a threat out there that threatens my family that is targetable and do nothing about it. Sanctions were tried, and the government (Iraq) starved its people. Rather than oil being traded for food, Saddam was able to sell some of it and hoard the money. What food the government got was distributed to those loyal to Saddam. Part of the money Saddam hoarded went to paying families of those that would strap bombs to themselves and kill innocents.

I believe we are doing the best we can to minimize death while trying to remove the cancer. There is so much thought about how to do this without harm to innocents that we may end up losing the fight or having it cost us more in lives of our troops. There are ways to suppress the insurgents in Iraq, but the costs to the Iraqi people and our values are to high for us.

I was involved in the first one and felt betrayed that we did not finish it then. Then doubly betrayed when our sanctions were thrown back in our faces and nothing was done about it. Then triply betrayed when a terrorist group brought in bombs (planes) and attacked us. Will I feel betrayed again? Will I have to one day see the Golden Gate Bridge blown up, or have a dirty nuclear bomb blown up in a major city, or right nest door so that I can experience the fall out. I say do not get mad at the ones attempting to solve the problem and keep us as safe as they can, but blame the evil bastards out there that breath, teach, preach, support and commit the atrocities in the first place.

All in all you have your sources and know what you believe about the war in Iraq or in the middle east. I have mine. One thing I think we both agree with whole heartedly is the violence must stop somewhere. What we disagree on, perhaps, is how or where. Mostly I think we can both agree to disagree.  :)

Again thanks for the differing view.

Johnn

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:33:11 PM »
Only a Fool is "for" War, but you would have to be Stupid not to prepare for it. 

The one thing about this question is when people give the answer "I'm against the War but for the troops".  Folks you have to support the war to support the troops.  You can not like the idea of the war but not supporting the war is not supporting that which is the instrument which performs the act, the troops.  So next time someone ask you this question a VETS perferred answer is "I don't support the reason for action, yet I do support my country, those fighting for it and the actions which we are already committed."

Just my two cents anways.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 12:50:00 AM »
So next time someone ask you this question a VETS perferred answer is "I don't support the reason for action, yet I do support my country, those fighting for it and the actions which we are already committed."

I am a Vet and I can say that this statement states it quite well. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:04:15 AM by RamblinDad »

Offline Abbott

• New Dad
  • Liked: 1
  • Being uncool is being pretty much the coolest you.
    • Watford Local Cleaners
  • Children?: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
I am definitely pro-war. Some conflicts and tensions simply cannot be resolved peacefully. Besides, ISIS will not ask to sit and talk, but will rather keep decapitating innocent people's heads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution