Author Topic: Bass Fishing  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
Bass Fishing
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »
 Any other big-mouth bass fisherman out there? I'm looking for tips on how to land the big one. hell, I'm looking for tips on how to bring in anything, I ain't had much luck these past couple years. I think I've brought in 2 total. LOL

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

dadof2b0ys

Re: Bass Fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
I love bass fishiing. I'm kinda spoiled though. The place I work has a pretty good sized lake on the grounds thats stocked. Pretty easy pickin's. During bass season, I can catch upwards of ten bass pretty easily on my lunch break. Nothing really huge though, my biggest out of that lake was between 23 and 24 inches, and maybe four or five pounds. Not really sure on the weight, I didn't have a scale at the time. You know how that goes. LOL. It was a pretty good size fish for this area.

I went on a fishing vacation with my family and a few friends last year and my oldest son caught more fish in the 2 hours he went out with us than the rest of the guys did all week. He was four at the time. Beginners luck I guess. LOL.

I pretty much just use a little white spinnerbait, with a white skirt( Not sure of the weight I think 1/4 ounce). Maybe a little neon green power grub on the hook(I think Berkley makes 'em.). Reel in kinda slow. That set up works pretty good at the work lake.

Offline Scott H.

• Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »
I'll have to try that. We usually go to Lake Fork and try to fish. I actually hooked one that weighed a good 10 lbs, but the damn thing did a turn around a tree about 2 feet down... ended up having to cut my line. I was so mad! My bud saw it break the water and he hollered "holy $h!t!!". Since that day, I ain't landed a damn thing. I think they know it's me and hide. LOL

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
For lines I would start with some Berkley Power Pro. 16lb line cast like 4lb line. Hard to break. In the hood we live in there is a 5 acre lake that is stocked. My son always fishes there. He has caught some 5lb bass there on just about any type of lures. My personal favorite is an irradescent topwater plug with 1 prop on the nose. I caught a limit in 3 hours one morning. It was a silver/blue colored shad about 3 inches long. This works great in clear calm water in spring. I like crank baits also. White, orange, shade colored, it don't matter. Just get a good assortment of lures and try everything till something hits.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
I haven't been in a few years but I used to go ALOT.     I like using Rattle Traps and remember, the bigger the lurer, the bigger the fish.   You throw small, you get small.

I don't fish in a lake too much..   I like river fishing.   We have a river here in East TN called the French Broad.   Great small mouth fishing and small mouth is where the fight is.  :)       I pulled a 4 1/2 lb small mouth out of a still hole once..    Great fight and great fish!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

hawk

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »
I envy you guys. I moved out of Iowa a year and a half ago to South Dakota. Out of Bass-land and into Walleye-land. Seriously people here have never heard of large mouth bass.lol. As far as lures go my go to is the Berkley Power Bait "long black worm". It was my go to and it rarely let me down. I think a Bass would strike about anything on a good day though. Good fishing everyone!
Any tips on walleye?

Offline Scott H.

• Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
I was out at Lake Fork yesterday, and the big selling bair is the Lake Fork Live action Shad and Slug. People are getting hits left and freaking right on these things!

As for walleye... I remember my grandparents getting good hits using striped spoons, but that's been a while.

jlyon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »
hey Scott, we need to go the ponds again. im ready, i havent' been in along time. i will need to restring my stuff it has been so long. im sure it is all dried out. i got alot of good stuff for Christmas and im ready to use it. it will be after we move though. heck, i will be about 20 foot from the pond after the move :excited:

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »
I've never fished bass. Mostly trout cut throat, rainbow, and brown. Been salmon and red snapper fishing once, up off of the Washington coast. I really don't know what the hell I'm doin', just mostly throwin a line in the water. For trout I use plain ol' simple earth worms for bait. Sometimes artificial bait.

For the salmon and red snapper I can't remember what we used as bait. It was mostly a deal where I was along for the ride (82 foot Coast Guard Cutter) as a teen. I was handed a pole and told go for it. That was the best fish meal I have ever had. As we caught them we cleaned them added butter, lemon, salt and pepper rapped them in foil and BBQ'd them right there. Makes my mouth water thinking of it now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:51:15 PM by Ramblin' Dad »

DgiftedJJV

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
I love bass fishing, started going out early this year. Here in MA alot of our ponds and lakes have tons of weeds and lily pads. Fishing top water is not only fun but highly effective. Try going around dawn or dusk, bass feed more often around these times. If you enjoy topwater lures don't be afraid to fish when the sun goes down. You might think the bass can't find or see your lure but trust me, they can. Bass will come out of hiding at night because they feel safe inthe dark.Try to get your hands on some dark colored Scum frogs or Buzzbaits, great for night fishing. Theres a reason frogs stay on the shoreline. Try to find a lure(s) that mimic some of the natural prey of the pond.

The water here is still kinda cold so I've been using live bait (shiners) because the fish are hitting slow. A couple weeks ago I had a shiner and bobber out next to some old tree stumps while I was casting a spinner. All of a sudden my live pole almost got yanked off the boat, caught a 4 1/2 pound bass and had the best fight in a long time. Here in MA 4 1/2 is waaaay better than the 2 pound average we see.

Let us know what kind of water and cover your trying to fish and maybe I'll have some more tips for you..good luck.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
I used to fish tournaments with my dad all the time.  I haven't for a few years but I loved going.  I can't wait for my son to go when he's old enough.

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
I took my sons to the delta on easter to spend some time fishing woth their grand father. I dont eat seafood myself so i never bother getting a fishing lisence. well my son jack cast his line out off a dock at brannen island in the delta and about 2 minutes later I hear him yelling for some help. I run over as he's about to get pulled off the dock and help him real in his fish and what do ya know he got a large mouth bass that was about 20 inches long and about 4 pounds :excited:

he was using some good sized live minnows as bait and just about everyone there was going crazy as no one had caught anything all day. there's also been a real shortage of large mouth bass in that area for awhile so to catch one at the docks was pretty amazing.

DgiftedJJV

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »
I took my sons to the delta on easter to spend some time fishing woth their grand father. I dont eat seafood myself so i never bother getting a fishing lisence. well my son jack cast his line out off a dock at brannen island in the delta and about 2 minutes later I hear him yelling for some help. I run over as he's about to get pulled off the dock and help him real in his fish and what do ya know he got a large mouth bass that was about 20 inches long and about 4 pounds :excited:

he was using some good sized live minnows as bait and just about everyone there was going crazy as no one had caught anything all day. there's also been a real shortage of large mouth bass in that area for awhile so to catch one at the docks was pretty amazing.
Nice!! And even better that it was your son who outfished everone on the dock, thats a memory I'm sure he'll remember his whole life. Thats a good weight for bass, too big and they come in like a log, too small and theres no fight at all.

Offline dscottnmel

• If I had a million dollars I'd buy me some nice mom jeans.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
Me and my little one will probably go next Thursday to my Dad's neighbors pond, well actually it's a freakin lake, that I've fished before. It has some open water fishing but I like the weedless lures around the lily pads. I've found a good way of sorta pissin them off by throwing frogs around their nests. You really gotta look for them hanging around in the weeds and shallows, if the water is clear enough. We probably got too much rain today to make it any good for a couple of days, but hopefully by Thursday it will look alright.

FishSteelhead

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
Don't do the Bass scene anymore (river Smallmouth be the EXCEPTION;)), mainly because it went from bein' a' great sport ta' to much commercializin'. However, when I did, it'd be with the use of either spinnerbaits (white or chartruese n' white skirts), plastic worms (wacky rigged) along with the good ol Rapala "Original Floater" (minnow/shad colored ~ black n' silver). The floater be a' great all around lure ~ it can be used as both a' top water or shallow runner. Again I say a' "great all around lure" because it be just that ie., have nailed Walleye's, Smally's, Trout, Crappie ta' name a' few and I cannot forget my fetish ~ Steelhead;)... Conditions such as weather, water etc., would always dictate what I'd go with but, those be my best producers. Tight lines and fish on to ya'...

Note: Pic is of my "main man" aka Grandson and his first Whitail taken in Idaho of last year. Looks a' bit proud don't he, well Grandpa Skip be mighty proud himself;) ;)?!

OOPS' screwed up and added another pic of him on my edit ~ ahhhhh' what de' H _ _L;)...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:48:15 AM by FishSteelhead »

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution