3 (14.3%)
3 years
5 (23.8%)
4 years
1 (4.8%)
5 or more
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: SAHD length of time  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: SAHD length of time
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
I just hit 3 1/2 years. The original plan was a 6 month leave of absence from work. That became a year. Then two years. Then it was until my daughter hits kindergarten. Recently my wife was laid off, so I'm looking for at least part time work to earn some money. Hopefully my wife finds something soon to replace her old job.

Fingers crossed that you guys find something soon. I was out of work last year for about 4 months. It sure does suck.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
I just hit 3 1/2 years. The original plan was a 6 month leave of absence from work. That became a year. Then two years. Then it was until my daughter hits kindergarten. Recently my wife was laid off, so I'm looking for at least part time work to earn some money. Hopefully my wife finds something soon to replace her old job.

Sorry to hear about her job.  I really hope that you guys find a job.  It's gotta be extremely tough on you.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
No job, that does sound familiar. Sorry to hear about that. I was lucky and was only jobless for about two months, but even then the job I did find was 1/3 less pay than what I made, so it's better but not the best. Good luck to your wife on finding a job soon, know it must be hard on the family.

GirouxZone

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
And now for a situational update. Well, my wife has been interviewing in quite a few places, and it looks like at least one will make an offer. It appears the money will be adequate, and while she'll have to commute 1 1/2 hours each way 2 days per week, the other days she can work at home. So, minor tradeoffs, but there's a lot of flexibility there. Another company she'll be meeting with next week, and they want to take us to dinner as well, so I'm thinking that's going pretty well too. If all else fails, she can work with some guys she used to know at her old company that have set up their own shop. In that case she'd be earning whatever work she brings in - no set salary. Either way, my old company will talk with me in a week and I'll see if I can set up the part time gig with them. So, the 9 month severance may just end up being bonus to pay down the mortgage, which would be sweet. Plus, our daughter makes out well too, since we'll both get enough time with her. I'll keep you posted.....

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
That's great news!   I really hope everything works out great!

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

GirouxZone

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
Thanks! Now I just have to deal with my deteriorated software skills, get over my trepidation over maybe being in the workforce again, and learn how to once again shave every day.....

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
You can do it, no problem!    But, you don't have to shave everyday, you can be like me and just shave once a week.   :)

Skeny

SAHD length of time
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 11:29:58 PM »
You can do it, no problem!    But, you don't have to shave everyday, you can be like me and just shave once a week.   :)

Just saying. :-P

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »
LOL     I have never let mine get like that.    I shave when it really starts to bother me.   :)

TrekkerDad

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
Technically, I've been at home for almost 3 1/2 years, but for much of that time, I was recuperating from cancer and/or doing work in my upstairs office as a contract researcher. I would just fill in for my wife, who telecomutes but frequently travels. When my son was born, 15 months ago, I had set it up (at her request) for her to have 3 months of maternity leave. She was begging to go back to work at 6 weeks. After that we started seriously exploring the option of me being a full-time SAHD. Best decision I ever made! I've been "on the clock" as she calls it for the last year, full-time. I never imagined a job could be this fun.

Although, I will admit, after the last week with my wife out of town, I'm ready for a freakin' vacation.

GirouxZone

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
So my wife accepted a new job offer yesterday. Way more control at her new place, a $30K raise, and we still have 7 months of severance pay left. All in all, it's one big "Suck it!" to her old firm! Haha.

Anyway, now the pressure is a bit off of me now as far as finding work. Had an interview at my old place and we're going to check with some people there about a potential part time gig, but at least now I don't HAVE to take it. More likely I'll be setting up my own home business, and continuing as a full time SAHD.

And posting here more, hopefully.

Dual unemployment was quite the roller coaster. Glad it only went for 2 months.

GirouxZone

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
The weirdest part of my wife being unemployed was that when she was home all the time, it underscored just how much of a routine me and my daughter had. All my "systems" we're disturbed by having a 3rd person around.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution