Author Topic: Stephen King  (Read 3281 times)

sdrawkcaB rM

Stephen King
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
anyone here read a lot of King like me?  want to talk about them w/ someone(s)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:50:37 PM »
A few years ago he was all i read..   I have read several books that he has written..

Have you also read his books that he wrote in college when he went by the name of Richard Backman?

My favorite by him (Backman) was 4 past midnight..   4 short stories in one..

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Rich M

• If I set up a day to meet online, I'll be there three days later......maybe.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:20:04 AM »
A few years ago he was all i read..   I have read several books that he has written..

Have you also read his books that he wrote in college when he went by the name of Richard Backman?

My favorite by him (Backman) was 4 past midnight..   4 short stories in one..

I did too, and I refer to the term "a few years ago" loosely....it was 10 to 15.  I was a member of the Stephen King book club where you get a book ever two months or something.  We have half of an entire bookcase filled with King stuff.  My wife was into it too, she's got a first edition Firestarter that she found in an antique shop (she's very proud of that one). 

As far as the stories, Keith, I also like the Bachman Books.  If you like the short stories check out "Nightmares and Dreamscapes."  There are like 25 short stories in that one.  Most of them were only published in magazines previously, and some not published at all, before the book. 

Of course there are the classics like Firestarter, Cujo, and The Shining.  But, my one of my favorites (outside of those) was Gerald's Game.  I don't want to give anything away, but it was very cerebral, and the scariest part was that the situation could happen. 
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about??

AtHomeDaddy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:03 AM »
I toted a copy of the Bachman Books around with me until I finished it in High School.  I bet it is still sitting at my mom's house.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »
Geralds Game..       It really could happen..   And a great story too..   I almost couldn't put the book down..   I was reading it at work....   :LMAO:

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline HamHAnds

• Daddy Sr.
  • Listen here, funny pants.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »
2 or 3 years back I got into the Dark Tower books, read all of them and then went back to read the books with any tie-ins, i.e. Hearts in Atlantis among others. It's good stuff, I've always enjoyed his books.

Daddy Loki

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I love Stephen King.  Under Bachman I really enjoyed The Long Walk (at least I think that's what it was called).  Salem's Lot was great and I really got into Cell and Desperation.  Did anybody see The Mist?  I actually really liked it.  The ending was changed too much from the story and I think it might have gone a bit too far.  I always thought that story would make a great movie.

Offline Rich M

• If I set up a day to meet online, I'll be there three days later......maybe.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
Yeah, I love Stephen King.  Under Bachman I really enjoyed The Long Walk (at least I think that's what it was called). 

Yeah, I almost forgot about that one. Great story!   Excellent test of manhood!   :rollinglaugh:
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about??

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
The Long Walk was probably my favorite out of 4 Past Midnight...     

Offline Jim

• NOTHING GREATER THAN A GATOR!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • DP. Best damn site ever.
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »
Never read the Bachman books. Will check into those. I have read his others and (unfortunately) watched most of the movies adaptations.

sdrawkcaB rM

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
yeah i have read every one of his books except the most new ones(lisey's story and something else i think) i was gonna ask what everyone thought about the dark tower series and all of its connections to his other books...hearts in atlantis, despertation and regulators, salems lot, the stand, from a buick 8(low men car) i cant remember where jake is from(black house or the other one that goes with it), ..it seems that just about everyone of his other books connects to dark tower....at least to me, but i read so many books that they all jumble up sometimes....i recently(the last year) read the whole dark tower series and it seemed a whole lot of the characters were familiar...i wonder if there is a website that charts it like a family tree?

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
I have a 3 by 8 oak book shelf filled with books by him, alot of them are signed as well. when in jr high and highschool i could never get through any book due to adhd and various learning disabilities, after reading a few of his books i was hooked. I ve read just about everything he has ever written including his books on writing books and a few of his wife's books. he has actually just started writing books again under the bachman name, and as far as the dark tower goes almost every story he has ever written is tied into it. I also love the work he did with straub in the talisman and i believe the second book was black house, it followed the original boy from the talisman into adulthood.

recently king went on record to defend the gaming industry and has been doing lectures on games as art, definetly a great person :up:

outlikealight

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
I read The Stand and Salems Lot once a year. Love em. I like almost all of his old stuff but have not particularly cared for anything of his in the last 5-10 years. Bachman books is a must read if you have not read it.

I heard they were going to turn The Long Walk into a movie soon  :up:.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:06:32 PM by outlikealight »

sdrawkcaB rM

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
from a buick 8, hearts in atlantis, and dreamcatcher all all great books in the classic king style...spddrcr...i am so jealous of your collection...there is a used book store here in town that has a 1st edition signed copy of cujo....i drool over it all the time but the guy wants a fortune for it...

Offline bradt32225

• Ask me about my hairy nipples
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
I have read alot of his older stuff. I love IT great book. I remember reading it on a trip up to WV too see family and our tire had a blow out and I was at a good part in the book and it scared the crap out of me. One of my other favs is Needful Things.

bradt32225" border="0

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution