Author Topic: Ask The Chef  (Read 12849 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Ask The Chef
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
Figured I could field a few questions regarding my trade. Nothing is sacred here ( go ahead and ask how to shallow poach a halibut filet to impress the girls ) so feel free to ask questions about stuff you should allready know about ( bbq ).
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
Re: Ask The Chef
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
What is your preferred way to cook scallops?

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »
And...  If you cook with alcohol, does all the alcohol get cooked away?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline BigLuv

• All I want for Christmas are naughty hot lesbians who are obviously whores
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »
Well i thought when cooking with alchy You do cook it out and typically left with just the taste.. but i swear rum cake can and will get you trashed

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
how do you know what wines go with the meal? do you generally match the color of wine to the color of meat? (i.e. red wine with steak, white with pork, etc.)

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »
Well first of all I love scallops, they're one of my favorite things to eat. I would recomend getting U-10s ( dry packed ) cleaning the small strip of conective tissue ( just pull it off ) then place the scallops in a line on a towel and pat them dry. Season with fresh cracked black pepper and a coarse kosher salt on both sides. In a nonstick sautouse ( sloped sided skillet ) over med-high heat add enough clairified butter or olive oil if you don't know how to clairify butter to coat the bottom of the pan and wait till you see ripples in the fat. If your temp is right and you don't over crowd the pan ( having to much in the pan will decrease the temp. of the pan and alter the results ) the scallops should only take about one and a half minutes on the first side and a minute and a half to two minutes on the second side resulting in a perfectly carmelized scallop showcasing the natural sweetness of this delicious little shellfish. If you can get them whole or on the half shell try firing up the old weber grill and throw some hickory woodchips that have been soaked in water for a couple hours right on the hot coals and smoke the scallops right on the grill for about five minutes covered with the vents open. If you buy alot and have leftover fresh scallops, puree the shi + out of them and with a little salt and pepper you can have a killer scallop mousse to top a beef tenderloin steak ( grill ). The smoke works well with the sweetness of a scallop so bacon ( cured and smoked ) is a scallops best buddy, take a half a strip of bacon and wrap from top to bottom not around the sides and prepair as listed above with fresh cracked black pepper ( omit the salt ) i would recomend a saffron vanilla buerre blanc with the bacon wraped scallops.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:25 PM »
Alcohol evaporates at a much lower tempurature than water does so when you apply heat ( cook ) with it you are left with all the taste and none of the alcohol. When applied to baked goods in a raw state like in rum cake, tiramisu or whipped into a creme' friache' or whipped cream the alcohol remains. When you add alcohol to a dish OFF the heat and return it to the flame you get a big cloud of fire because the alcohol evaporates as soon as you add it to somthing hot and the alcohol vapors are obviously flamable ( flambe' ).

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »
The old rules of wines do not apply i.e red with red and white with white. First thing you need to do to pair wines with food is taste the wine and see what is comes out, leather, oak, burnt sugar, dried cherries, figs, grapefruit, black dirt, apples, pears...etc. then you need to establish the body of the wine ( think skim, 2% or whole milk ) after that is wether or not the wine is acidic or "tart" and finally is the wine sweet or dry? I could go further into the profiles and finish of a wine and wether the wine is old world or new but i dont want to go into too much detail. OK, this is actually more simple than it sounds, the flavors of the wine can either complement the dish or contrast the flavors of the dish for example a dry, slightly acidic oakey ( allmost smokey ) light bodied wine with tones of apple would go very well with the bacon wrapped scallops that i described in responds to bills post in that the lack of sugars in the wine contrast the sweetness of the scallop, the acidity of the wine would "stand up" to the bacon fat and the butter sc. ( acidic wines cleanse your palpate when eating fatty foods that "coat" your palate and mute flavors ) the oakeyness will complement the cured bacon as well as the apple tones and finally the body of the wine neads to be similar to the main component of the dish your making ( thats where the misconception of white with white and red with red come in ) keep in mind that there are light bodied reds and full bodied whites.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:40 PM »
This thread kinda died, hope I answered your questions. Anything else on your mind guys?

Offline runthrubland

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »
It's a great idea though. I tend to need help right now when a question arises for me but I will keep this in mind.

Offline Scott H.

• Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
Yeah, that really did help. With the selection of wine that we just got as a gift, we're trying to pair it with the foods we're eatting. my next adventure is various marinades. Be on the look out!!

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »
Could you recommend a good non-stick sautée pan that will stand the test of time?

I've tried Calphalon and All-Clad, neither of which lasted very long. I got about 6 months out of the Calphalon and 18 for the All-Clad.

Great idea BTW :up:

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
CAST IRON. just remember not to scrub the finish off and keep water off it as best as you can, otherwise you'll get iron oxide ( rust ). Not only does cast iron provide very " lasting " qualities but it actually imparts nutrition and flavor. A properly cared for cast iron skillet will outlast you and you children. If you want to stick with a teflon coating just remember not to use any metal ( tongs, wisks ), wood or hard plastic ( spoons, spatulas or turners ) utensils in the pan and to clean with a cotton towel/ rag instead of a metal scruby, steel wool or even a coarse plastic scruby. It just takes one tiny scratch to start the domino affect in a non-stick pan.

Offline Scott H.

• Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
I can swear by the cast iron pans lasting forever. My younger sis has one that my grandmother got from her mother as a wedding present, and it was already seasoned and used when she got it in the 1940's!

Offline JgansoC

• What can I say, I'm not original
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
What is the proper way to sharpen a butcher knife?

RazzyMagoo" border="0

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution