Author Topic: Ask The Chef  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Re: Ask The Chef
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »
Use a two or three sided wetstone ( lubricate with either water or mineral oil ) start with the blade at a 20 degree angle to the surface of the stone and the knife at a 45 degree angle to the stone. In one swipe starting at the heel of the knife and ending at the tip " slice " the stone in a slight arc. Start with the coarse side then the medium grit on to the fine grit passing over each grit only a couple times on each side as not to file off the "edge" by grinding down one side more than it's opposite. Having properly sharpend your knife you can keep your edge longer by honing your knife everytime you use it by using a steal to "comb" the microscopic feathers on the cutting edge of your blade.

P.S ~ by Bucher knife did you mean Scimatar?
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
Alright I have a question, I have seen on a few cooking shows about leaving meat out at room temperature for about 30 minutes to make it cook better. Is there any truth to that? I tried it with ground beef when making tacos and it seemed to cook better but I also just got a new pan.. and does that apply to all meats?

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Well, this is kinda a touchy subject. To get right to the point, Yes resting your meat ( protien, most of which coagulates at 160 F)( Beef, Lamb or Pork ) before and after cooking will result in a juicier more consistant product because you "stress" the protien "mesh" less, think of meat as a very dense sponge. I'm a NRAEF certified Instructor and certified proctor and i could literaly talk for days about ServSafe and the FDA food code but I'll just say this, the temperature danger zone (41 F-135 F) is the temperature where pathogens ( illness causing microoganizms ) grow and is a place you don't want your food to be. The more time your food spends in the TDZ the bigger your chances of getting sick become. So frankly speaking you want to heat up ( cooking and reheating ) and cool your food as fast as possible, Then there's the whole issue with holding temperatures and minimum internal temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:02:07 PM by Chef Dad »

Offline runthrubland

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
Fully agree with the cast Iron, I love it. On that note, my bbq has cast Iron grills on it what is a good way to store the grills over the winter so I don't have to re-cure it every summer.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
Do you not have them covered!?

Offline runthrubland

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
just the lid

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
Condensation is the killer here, at the end of the grilling season clean the grates really good then rub them down with alot of oil while cool and take them off the ledge that they sit on. If you leave them where water could sit ( the ledge ) chances are good that the water will have time to penetrate your barrier. And you can allways pack up your grates for the winter, just toss em' in a rubbermaid.

Offline pinmonkey001

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
A few years ago while in North Carolina I attended a pig roast.  One of the things they made was pulled pork with a vinigar based bbq sauce.  What I'd like to do is duplicate this.  Maybe using a pork roast and a slow cooker.

my questions are.

1) where can I find a good vinigar based BBQ sauce recipie?
2) what is best hunk of pig to use do you think?
3) should I scrap the slow cooker and just try to smoke it?

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
SMOKE IT!! slow and low is the key here, give it three hours in the smoker and another hour and a half in an oven at 275F degrees. Best cut would be the Boston Butt ( the shoulder ) bone in. Rub it down with paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic, onion, cayenne and black pepper. Serve it with hog wash, pickles and thinly sliced vidallia onions on dollar rolls or yeast rolls.

HOG WASH~                                                          HOG WASH version 2

Apple Cider Vinegar  1 C                                           1/2 c red wine vinegar
Honey                    2 Tablespoons                            1/4 c Worcestershire sc.
Liquid Smoke*         one drop                                    2/3 c water or tomato juice
Cumin                    2 teaspoons                               1/2 t. black pepper
Paprika                  1 tablespoon                               1/2 t. cayenne
Cayenne                1/2 teaspoon                              1 T brown sugar
Chili Powder            1 teaspoon                                 1 T sugar
Granulated Garlic     1 teaspoon                                 1 T paprika
Granulated Onion     1/2 teaspoon                              1 t. salt
Salt & Black Pepper  to taste                                     1 t. dry mustard

*optional

note: the guys on the south side of North Carolina like tomato in their Hog Wash and so do I, I tried to replicate the more common recipe here but if you like you can add a 1/2 cup of tomato juice to this same recipe.

For version 2 you have to boil all the ingredients except the vinegar and Worcestershire then mix together when cooled.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:11:41 PM by Chef Dad »

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »
Any disasters or questions about your meal preparation today? Lemmie know, there's always a way to fix it. Last minute dessert ideas. Want to spruce up something traditional?

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Why do I get so darned sleepy after I eat on Thanksgiving?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
Why do I get so darned sleepy after I eat on Thanksgiving?

tryptophan!   http://www.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
That kinda makes sense..  I really haven't had any heart palpitations today..   Think that might be the case?

And sorry to hijack your thread Chef!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »
It's from all the booze, duh.

Frobozz was like the guy in my class that raises his hand reeeeeal high and waves it around! LOL, i thought everybody knew about tryptophan.

Offline pinmonkey001

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 08:15:55 AM »
I have a very neglected cast iron skillet.  What is the best way bring it back to shape?

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution