Author Topic: Ask The Chef  (Read 12540 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Re: Ask The Chef
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 12:27:18 AM »
you have to re season it. start by doing what you should only do with severely rusted out cast iron, steal wool and soapy water; scrub with as much elbow grease as you got. preheat your oven as high as it will go, fill your pan with a coarse salt ( mortons kosher salt ) and place on your stove-top set on high flame [ hoods on ( exhaust fans ) ] "burn" your cast iron pan until it stops smoking. CAUTION!!! PAN AND SALT WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT!!! Wait for pan to cool and discard salt ( and a s#!+load of black burnt soot ) and make sure to clean out and remaining flecks of carbon. Now that your oven should be nice and hot, add clean salt and enough oil to form a dense paste to your now super cleaned cast iron pan. "Cook" until pan starts to smoke, let salt cool, remove oily salt and rub pan down with an oily paper towel. "Cook" rub, repeat. The more times you repeat this process the thicker the layer of seasoning you will have developed, you will also naturally develop this seasoning by using your cast iron on a day to day basis. NOTE~do not let water touch your cast iron! Simply wipe clean and heat before using!
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »
how hard\easy is beef wellington to make and how is it done? also what side dishes goes best with the wellington

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
That's actually really easy to make, you'll need a beef tenderloin that's been center cut cleaned and trimmed, some puff pastry ( in the frozen section ) and a mushroom duxelle that you make with button mushrooms, shallots and butter. First start by chopping your mushrooms very small, in a large skillet melt a generous amount of butter and sweat your shallots, add the mushroom and cook on a low flame until the duxelle starts to become pasty. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper and sear the meat on all sides, allow meat to cool, spread duxelle on a sheet of puff pastry leaving room on the edges to allow for a good seal, place tenderloin in the center of the puff pastry and fold the dough over the tenderloin. Place the wellington seam side down on a pizza pan/ cookie sheet, and bake at 325*F until crust is golden brown ( about 45 min to an hour ). For a nicer presentation use scraps of puff pastry to cut out leafs and egg wash the entire crust for a darker, more even browning and beautiful shine. While the welly is cooking saute' a handful of mushrooms ( whole ) until they get nice and brown for use as a garnish laid around your presentation. I like a port reduction with my beef wellington, you could also use a compound butter with garlic and fresh herbs... i think i posted here before about compound butter. As far as sides go, this time of year, think roasted vegetables ( pearl onions, asparagus.. ) for the starch don't feel you need to go with mashed potatoes ( although they would work here ) try roasting some quartered red potatoes or yukon golds tossed with olive oil, dried thyme, dried rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. If you weren't planning on doing this "family style" follow the same procedure with 6-8oz cut fillet of beef tenderloin, sear, top with duxelle and wrap individually, the cooking time and temp will vary a lot.. cook at 355*F until brown 15-23 min.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
sweet thank you very much ill let you know how it turns out. wont b for a little while but ill tell you how it goes

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Resdawg2

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
I need some ideas on what to do with some boneless, skinless chicken breasts I bought, other than pan fryng or grilling.

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »
I need some ideas on what to do with some boneless, skinless chicken breasts I bought, other than pan fryng or grilling.

Chicken Sandwiches

Season breasts with salt and pepper then broil and slice.
Slices of Italian bread, brush with extra virgin olive oil and toast in oven.
Once toasted, on 1 slice of bread layer fresh basil leaves, smoked (or fresh) mozzarella, roasted red peppers, sliced chicken then top with 2nd slice.

You can pop it back into the oven if you like to melt the cheese.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
I posted an easy (at least I think it is) recipe for boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the SAHD section about easy meals.  If you are interested let me know.  PM me or something.

Offline Bigred

• Violating the Princess Bride since 1987
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »

You could cut them into small strips season heavily with ginger and garlic and fry in wok, once you see no pink on the outside toss in some Red Green and Orange bell peppers or Broccili for about 2 minutes, constantly stirring

Or

Cut into small strips and season with garlic, chilly pepper, salt and pepper, and papricka and maybe some cilantro and fry in a wok, after done spritz a small amount of lemon on them and wrap them in a flour tortilla was some pico de gallo sour cream and cheese (fajitas)

Or

Cut into small strips and coat with Vrigin Olive Oil and lots of itelian seasoning and fry in a wok until done, then let cool for about 5 miutes and put ontop of romaine lettuce with feta chees and a small amount of ceaser dressing or italian vinegret dressing.

Or

Lay the breast out, cover with plastic wrap and beat the crap out of it till is thin, from this point you can put many different items in and roll it up cover with bread crumbs or not, and put in the oven at 350 to 400 depending on what you put inside until the chicken is done.

Things to put inside -
Swiss cheese and Ham
Feta Cheese and Spinach
Pico de Gallo (or Rotel diced tomatoes and peppers with cilantro) and Pepperjack cheese
Seasoned Rice (Premade) and mozzeralla
Bacon Strips with ranch seasoning and cheese

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:24:40 PM by Bigred »

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
 :clap: :goodpost: I only want to add; look at what you have to serve with it and go from there, instead of planning ahead, see what you have to work with ( veggies and starches ) and decide what to do with the chicken from there. If you have more chicken breast than you need for one meal I would suggest that you toss them with some fresh herbs, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil and simply bake them off and cool them down, you can use this chicken for sandwiches or chicken salad, an ingredient in a pasta, or as a way to bulk up a salad in to a meal.

Offline davebrubek

• I have VGADD. I know that sounds painful, but once I get the SITP out I will no longer FUBAR my XB360. Although KISS has helped people like Dew in the past.
  • Daddy
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »
I need some dinner ideas that taste good and are healthy or at least not really bad for you. The catch is my wife doesn't really like health food and won't eat anything green. Also it would be great if they were easy to cook and prep as my wife and I don't have a lot of skill in the kitchen.

Acidophie

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
What is the best way to prepare a good Filet of Beef? And also, your recipe for those awesome green beans! Thanks!

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
anything marked with an * denotes a healthy recipe.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
lol, wassup chip! for a fillet of beef tenderloin i would suggest a simple preparation as to not "mess with the simplistic style of the beef tenderloin" Grill or saute' starting with a high heat for a cut no greater than two inches thick, rub your steaks with olive oil, fresh minced or chopped garlic, kosher salt or any coarse salt ( Muldon sea salt preferred ), and fresh cracked black pepper. I would recommend eating this cut medium rare and so if cooking at a high flame 4 minutes on the first side and 5-6 minutes on the second side if cooking in the exact same spot. For the green beans, blanch and shock! by boiling a large pot of water to cook your green beans for a period of NO LONGER THAN 30 SECONDS and "shocking" them in a bath of ice water to stop the cooking process you will end up with a partially cooked green bean ready for the quick cooking process of sauteing. With your blanched green beans tossed in garlic and just enough olive oil to coat the beans, get a large skillet hot and toss your green beans in for a quick cooking time of not more than a minute or two, keep your green beans moving and season with salt and pepper while in the skillet. NOTE, if you do not transfer your beans in to a different container immediately after cooking you will over cook your green beans and cause them to become mushy and gross!

Acidophie

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
Thank you! My mouth is watering just reading this.

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »
I made some Clam Chowdah (N.E. style) today.  I got a recipe from my inlaws, and it turned out fairly well.  Problem is, it was a HUGE amount of chowdah...required one giant 51oz. can o' clams to prepare.  So, now I have lots of leftovers.  I'm gonna enjoy this for lunch the next few days, but I don't know that I'll come anywhere close to finishing this prior to my next trip for work (Sunday morning), especially since my wife isn't big on seafood and likely won't have any more.

Several people have said that it doesn't freeze well due to the potatoes.  Do you have any suggestions for making this more freezeable?  I thought about mashing it up with a potato masher prior to freezing, but I'm afraid that it might not have the desired effect and/or damage the clam meat.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution