Author Topic: Any Gardner's on here?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
Any Gardner's on here?
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »
I need some advice from any of you who grow your own vegetable garden. I was at the grocery store yesterday and spent nearly $30 in produce and was like man I just need to grow my own for that much.. so I got to thinking.. I don't know when to plant these things.. heres what I want in my garden.. Lettuce, Onions, Cucumbers,Tomatoes,Green Peppers and potatoes.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Any Gardner's on here?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »
What state do you live in?  How much land are you looking to use for planting?  Are you wanting to grow from seeds or buy young plants from a nursery?   Do you use herbicides or pesticides on your lawn?  Do your neighbors?  If so, how close/far are they from your proposed garden?

Offline Pat

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 12
  • Hockey's back :)
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Pat
  • Xbox Gamertag: ragingpdm
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Well, first ya got to buy the seeds or the plants....oh and a hoe...lol..Nah, just kidding pf..I'd love to do the same but the weather here makes it a lil hard to do gardens.

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
wow Fro, so much info.. um state is VA southern part, space I'd say about 15feet by 20 feet. I would probably grow from seeds, nothing but rain on my yard and that of the neighbor.. live in the city so hopefully not alot of wildlife to eat all my crops.

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
Dude, city squirrels are the worst!! Remember the "hammock" post?? Just imagine what they'll do to a garden. Also, you'll find out how many rabbits are around once you plant a garden. LOL

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »
What I would do is first..  don't worry about potatoes.   They don't cost alot anyway..  Not around here anyway...

Next, (this is what I am doing in our yard).   You can either use wood (railroad ties is what I have) or you can even get plastic containers for this..    But, go get some garden mix potting soil.  They sell it at Home Depot, Lowes and even Walmart..    The garden mix even has the fertilizer already in it..   Pour the garden mix into whatever you are going to use (plastic containers or a squared in section with railroad ties) and then go get the planets that you want..   Buy them as plants already growing..   Transplant them over.   Stick the tomatoes..  Water..   And enjoy.

After you are done with your vegetable garden your wife can have it to plant flowers or you can use it to grow turnip greens when it gets cold outside again.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution