Author Topic: How do I kick the habit??  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 13
    • Longitude 111
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Rob
How do I kick the habit??
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »
how do I kick the habit of drinking soda so much, and eating candybars.. I can force myself not to eat the stuff, thats not really a big deal. but soda.. OMG I cant get enough of it.. I dont even care for the caffeine, its the burning acidy sensation when I drink it.. Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper are my poisons... if I can get ahold of Monster those too!!

so any help to stop drinking these period, forever???
My Geocaching blog: http://www.longitude111.com

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
Re: How do I kick the habit??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
well although you may not care about the caffaine your body definetly does. the thing to do is to just drop it, start drinking water, carry around a nice aluminum or steel bottle of water and drink the stuff till you cant drink anymore(Well not literelly)

I was drinking alot of soda and after drinking just water I started to drop weight, it's really hard for me not to drink rockstars and redbulls as not only am i around a free supply of it all the time but i also get nasty headaches where usually drinking a rockstar will get rid of it. for the last couple of weeks ive been getting migranes as well and usually when i lose peripheral vision i know it's time to drink caffine and give myself a shot.

if you find yourself not able to drink water all the time drink diet dr.pepper, it tastes pretty close to the real thing and im sure it cant be worse drinking a diet soda everyonce in a while instead of the real soda all the time.

good luck with whatever you do and stay strong :laugh2:

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »
Like spddrcr said I went cold turkey and just drank lots of water. Eventually the craving goes away.  Every once in awhile I feel like a Coke but I don't find I need it now.  During the day now I drink decaf green iced tea and at night believe it or not I have diluted apple juice.  About 1/3 apple juice and 2/3 water.  Like it almost better then soda

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Longitude 111
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
yeah the cravings are what kills me.. im weak Ill admit that.. and around here there is an unlimited free supply of soda and ripit's (mini monsters basically) and water.. I usually go for a soda.. Im trying to ween myself off.. just 1 soda a day.. i used to kill a 12 pack of dew a day so im doing good hah

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:34 PM »
I tried the cold turkey route once and had some seriously nasty caffeine withdrawals, so I started cutting back slowly but surely. It wasn't so much the caffeine I was trying to get rid of, but the calories, so now I drink some water (the flavored Dasani stuff are the only ones I actually enjoy) and some Coke Zero

Offline Latham99

• You mean I came over from AVS to hang out with these goobers?
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
I do drink sodas, but only diet ones. That Coke Zero is pretty good, and if you simply limit yourself to a set number each day they should be alright. I find that something with a bit of taste difference isn't a big deal, your palette gets used to it and it becomes the norm..

Try Coke Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper, and even sugar free Red Bull or Monster.

Rich

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »
I can't stand the diet cokes/c2's of the world, but as far as taste goes, coke zero is as good as the real thing used to be (I can't drink coke classic anymore after switching to zero)

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Longitude 111
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:49:18 PM »
all the diet sodas have aspartame in it though which is proven to do some pretty nasty stuff long term to ya.. like we are talking worse than cigarettes potentially

rocknrolldad

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »
try flavored carbonated water.

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Longitude 111
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
ya know that stuff is disgusting.. although back in the states I was addicted to vitamin water.. which is really good, 50 calories a serving, like 100 in a whole gatorade sized bottle, lots of vitamins in it and it doesnt taste like flavored water, it is yummy.. so when I get back to the states I will try to get hooked on those.. you can get them 10 for $10 at target too

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »
Take this from the man who was addicted to Mt. Dew more than anyone else..  I used to drink 5 or 6 20oz ones a day..   I quit caffeine like that all together..  I don't drink any caffeine like that anymore..

I have found that Vitamin water is pretty dang good.    It's not cheap at about $1 a bottle, but for flavored vitamin water, it's pretty good..  You should try it.  They make several different flavors, keep trying them to find out the ones you like.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

rocknrolldad

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
ya know that stuff is disgusting.. although back in the states I was addicted to vitamin water.. which is really good, 50 calories a serving, like 100 in a whole gatorade sized bottle, lots of vitamins in it and it doesnt taste like flavored water, it is yummy.. so when I get back to the states I will try to get hooked on those.. you can get them 10 for $10 at target too

I don't see much difference between it and soda personally. I don't like much soda anymore though. seems like they've upped the carbonation, it burns going down.

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Longitude 111
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »
how do you not see the diff between VW and soda? VW - 50 calories packed with vitamins and electrolites but low sugar unlike gatorade.. soda - high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonation, causes kidney stones..

yeah the VW company is awesome they sent me a morale package here to the deployed area and it had 1 of every flavor in it.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »
I quit cold turkey in high school and stayed off caffeine for two years.  Then I started drinking it again when I started working because it was the easiest drink to access.  I worked in a warehouse (for the same company I work for now, but I'm in a different position now) and it got so bad I was pounding down 5 or 6 cans a day during the summer.  I tried quitting cold turkey again but got really bad stomach aches.  So what I did is I slowed down on the caffeine to 1 or 2 a day.  Then I switched to Sprite/7up which still is drinking soda but without the caffeine.  I then switched to juice but mostly I drink water and milk now.  I'll have caffeine drinks now and then but it's rare (usually when I need to stay up for a long time).

Offline JgansoC

• What can I say, I'm not original
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 04:42:42 AM »
For someone who works on a tugboat 24/7 for seven days to me the best thing to drink is water.  I will sometimes get the crystal light packets that are for bottled water.  I drank sodas to keep me awake for those long 5 to 6 hour jobs.  After drinking just water, it seemed to help in the long run.  I don't feel as tired when I get off after seven days

RazzyMagoo" border="0

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution