Author Topic: American history's "sad" aspects require action  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Shaolin

• Daddy
  • Liked: 3
  • Would really like some hardcore sleep
Re: American history's "sad" aspects require action
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
So, you're just arrogant?  Or, just a victim?
Sorry, you were about to explain to us how Jim Crow didn't work, in the face of all evidence that it did in fact work.
The idiot comment about "...History did not matter prior to your existence..." is about the dumbest statement I've EVER heard concerning this subject.

You were arguing that you had no part in what happened before you, and therefore no obligation to the past. Or did you intend to take pride in the good stuff you had no part of?
You think that just because I'm white, I am somehow responsible for the history of the world.  That's just stupid.
I said no such thing. Its stupid that you'd have to manufacture such phony arguments.

My ancestory is Jew ... Do I get reparations from the Egyptians?  Babylonians?
Have you asked them? The Palestinians might have a better case against Israel.

For more recent history about Jewish reparations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_Agreement_between_Israel_and_West_Germany

Tell me, is it part of Jewish culture to forget ones past, just "get over it" and pretend it happened to someone else a long time ago?

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »
can o worms here Fro!

you know; after the Irish were starved from there homes by the English "we" were treated no better than african americans of the same time in the united states. You can say because I'm white that I have it better than a black man in this america, maybe i do. This is my OPINION, fuok the english, fuok the d-bags that wouldn't give work to the irish and fuok the fuoking english language! The reason i say fuok so much is because Im speaking the language of a people that a long time ago ( but not that long ago ) fuoked over my people. now here's where i stand on this whole ordeal, reparations is stupid, it doesn't do anything, teach a man to fish don't just give him a fuoking fish sandwich. Who is the better employee ? the guy who walks past a problem and tells you about it or the guy who instead of wasting his and your time fixes the problem? Shut the fuok up and do your job! want to help cut back on racism and the whole martyr/victim problem? Don't complain about stupid s#it in front of your kids, don't tell your kids that they have it rough because they are black or because they are a woman, tell your kids that if they work hard they can do whatever they want. I was never given a thing in my life and i've seen the struggle of my parents and my grandparents and i've even got a glimpse of my great-grandfathers strife, LIFE IS HARD, quit telling on somebody else looking for a pat on the back for noticing the problem and do something about it!! I worked my fuoking as5 off to get to where i am today and i'm damn sure not about to give another cent for some retarded PC bandaid. GROW THE FUOK UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF!
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »
dude, don't start calling out Jews, your starting a race war. Nobody is discrediting history here, nobody said there people suffered a greater injustice than anyone else.

"Tell me, is it part of Jewish culture to forget ones past, just "get over it" and pretend it happened to someone else a long time ago?"

Offline Shaolin

• Daddy
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »
dude, don't start calling out Jews, your starting a race war. Nobody is discrediting history here, nobody said there people suffered a greater injustice than anyone else.

"Tell me, is it part of Jewish culture to forget ones past, just "get over it" and pretend it happened to someone else a long time ago?"

I'm not calling out Jews, I could've used Armenians, Chinese, or even the Irish. The Jews make a great example because they make a cultural point of remembering what has happened to Jews, and why. Its a part of their shared history and culture. It informs the lessons passed down to the next generation; the stories of tragedy and triumph, heroes and villians.

Its only the American Black thats encouraged to forget what their forefathers went through.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:45 AM »
American Blacks are encouraged to forget what their forefathers went through? Forget!? Are you serious? Nobody said forget about the past, they said quit dwelling on it. You are not a slave, you have rights, just because life isn't easy doesn't mean you should look for easy outs. Generations of today's children are being raised by victims, and you know what kind of people victims raise? Victims. It's not cool to emulate what you see on TV. You have to make a conscious decision to do more than what you were taught, that's called evolution. 

Offline Shaolin

• Daddy
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 02:54:02 AM »
American Blacks are encouraged to forget what their forefathers went through? Forget!? Are you serious? Nobody said forget about the past, they said quit dwelling on it.
Who says that, and what gives them the gumption to say so?

You are not a slave, you have rights, just because life isn't easy doesn't mean you should look for easy outs.
....and who is looking for an easy out? Sorry, but nothing has ever been given to us easy, we've earned it and more from busting our butts despite every barrier thrown at us. You see victimhood, I see the triumph over oppression. I see survivors.

Generations of today's children are being raised by victims, and you know what kind of people victims raise? Victims. It's not cool to emulate what you see on TV. You have to make a conscious decision to do more than what you were taught, that's called evolution. 
You lost me there. Except for that last part about evolution. Some people have stated that we (humans) can't evolve, that we can't change our thinking. And I suppose some of us cannot.

At any rate, why do you assume I don't take responsibility for myself, or that I don't know that life is hard?! Does it fit into some narrative that proponents of reparations are lazy, irresponsible, pampered or somehow trying to take something from you?

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »
"Some people have stated that we (humans) can't evolve, that we can't change our thinking. And I suppose some of us cannot. "
A'men, couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes I do think people looking for reparations are lazy ( I was speaking in generalities, not about you specifically ). I wish I could see what you see, I wish I could see the triumph. The only thing I hear and see is people saying that they are owed something and what that says is that they feel THEY have been done an injustice. This argument has nothing to do with what happened 500 years ago or what happened 200 years ago or even what happened less than 100 years ago, this argument is about today. For today's problems YOU have to better yourself and hope that you taught your kids well enough to take it one step further than you could.

ToddS

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »
First of all we have to get over this race thing.  There is only one race, the human race to which we all belong.  We are all a different shade of brown.  What exactly is it to be black or white?  We are a product of our experiences, environment, and choices.  There will always be issues until we learn that we do not need to be broken up into groups and that we all need to work together.

A couple of posts have mentioned history.  The only obligation we have to history is to learn from it, but to learn from it we must do proper research.  History text books are full of lies, half truths and glamorizations.

Reparations are not going to make things any better.  Life is what you make it.  Reparations are not going to give people good decision making skills. Making good decisions and learning from ones mistakes is how one gets ahead.  There are people of every description that dont make good decisions.  Find out how to fix that and you have solved all the worlds problems.

Plus who gets reparations.  Go back far enough and everyone's relatives have been persecuted. You even get people who make up persecution like the "Palestinians".  Some people are mutts and come from all over so they may be perscutors and persecutees.

Why does it even matter where we are from?  Whats so special about being Irish or English or Chinese or African.  Is being born somewhere really all that special does it truly define you as a person? Being proud of something you have no control over is silly.

Look at all the people who are excited that we have a chance to have the first "black" president.  Isn't his mother "white"?  Would'nt he possibly be the first "1/2 black" president"?  So he gets to choose his "race"?  I mean if we are going to label ourselves lets at least be honest about it.

We all have the same opportunities in this country and I would bet that all of us have been stereotyped in some form or fashion.  Some worse than others.  Is it right? Not at all but if we allow it to be a road block in our lives then it only hurts ourselves.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:39:20 PM by ToddS »

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
 :plus1: Very nicely said. I do have to disagree with the following idea, tho...

Why does it even matter where we are from?  Whats so special about being Irish or English or Chinese or African.  Is being born somewhere really all that special does it truly define you as a person? Being proud of something you have no control over is silly.

Being proud of where you were born or your ancestry is, IMO, a good thing. As long as it doesn't stop you from evolving. For instance, I have a strong German heritage, I am proud of it, but I don't allow the history of what Germany did during the WW's drive my life choices.
I was born in IA and raised in TX, but I don't let the history of either state determine my life. I am my own person, with my own ideas.
Be proud, but don't be thick-headed.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
Well said Todd, I feel the same way :plus1:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution