Author Topic: How to deal with idiot neighbor and their dog...  (Read 2830 times)

GiftedPlacebo

How to deal with idiot neighbor and their dog...
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
Looking for advice.

We live on a pretty quiet street. Those of us that have dogs have them fenced in the back yard, or take them for walks on a leash. Well, my neighbor across the road has a son that just came home after graduating college. He brought his half pit bull home with him. The dog is out of control. Also, they have no fenced yard and the dog is always over in our yard etc. A few weeks ago my son was outside playing and the dog came flying across the yard and tackled him and scraped him all up. I told the neighbor he needed to get his dog under control. Well last week it happened again when I wasn't home and my wife screamed at him that she was going to "shoot your **cking dog".  I haven't even seen the dog outside since then... (which is what happened after the first time I said something to him). I know its just a matter of time before he's over here again, what can I do - legally? Should I just start calling the cops? The dog is 1/2 pit bull and completely uncontrollable, so it really concerns me that he'll come over and turn my kid into a chew toy.  :blackeye:

cc0724

Re: How to deal with idiot neighbor and their dog...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
Are you in a neighborhood with deed restrictions.. and if so, see what it says about pets.

GiftedPlacebo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
Are you in a neighborhood with deed restrictions.. and if so, see what it says about pets.

Like a HOA? No, there are no restrictions on pets other than city ordinances prohibiting farm animals.

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »
There's no city "leash law" or containment ordinance? I know that there's on here that states any animal needs to be either leashed or contained within a physical border. Any animal that is not will be confiscated by the city animal control and the home owner (not the renter) will be fined. Contact your local PD or Code Enforcement office.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
My wife had some guys renting her house at the start of the decade.  She got a call from a neighbor letting her know that they guys had two huge dogs and the dogs somehow compromised the fence and were running around at will in the neighborhood.  She asked her insurance company what coverage she had in that situation and they told her none and neither did the tenants. It seems that most insurance companies will not cover you if you have large dogs.  They told her that her policy would be considered void if it was true that she had dogs living there and hadn't gotten a waiver from the insurance company.

I'm willing to bet that if your neighbor's dog does something to you, your family, or anyone else, his insurance company's response will be when contact "umm, sorry, nope, the actions are in violation of terms of the policy".

So, if I were you, I'd contact the non-emergency number for the local police and give them a heads-up about the dog.  I'd also go back over to the neighbor's house and firmly, but not angrily, tell him that his dog had attacked a member of your family and that we're all lucky that it wasn't worse than it was, and that he needed to take immediate action to ensure that that sort of thing did not happen again.

Finally, I'd contact the town government and ask about what laws or restrictions there are on the books concerning dog ownership.   If he needs a permit for the dog, ask how you can go about finding out if your neighbor has one.  Ask if the situation you've endured would have any bearing on his ability to either get approval for or renewal of a dog license (if applicable).

Good luck.

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
I dont think the breed of the dog matters in this case the main goal is to get this dog taken care of before someone gets hurt. where i live we have whats called animal control, they basically take the police roll in animal calls instead of actually bothering police. a call like that and the dog would be gone.

the other thing you need to consider is what is this kid going to do in retaliation for you getting him in trouble or the dog taken away? people do crazy things when it comes to dogs and i wouldnt put it past him to retaliate in some way such as calling police for every little thing you do or having cars towed sort of thing.

and there is the third option which is what i would do: roll up my sleaves and have a real talk with the kid letting him know that if the dog doesnt stay in his yard by means of fence or a real preventitive measure that your going to take it out of his ass after you shoot the dog. he might just get the message. sometimes you cant be nice to people and it sounds like you guys arent on best of terms anyways.

good luck man and keep your kid inside till it's resolved :up:

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
sit out on your front porch, have a glass of iced tea ( beer ) and watch your son play. wait for the dog to come over and run at it, hopefully the dog will come towards you, offer your left forearm to the dog. If and when the dog bites your forearm quickly put your right forearm on the back of it's neck and then rotate your left arm up and back while pulling your right arm down and towards you. You get a cool scar and your boy and everyone you ever talk to gets a cool story. I was in a similar situation but with a full pit and a one year old daughter. It's amazing the different levels of adrenaline your body can produce, especially when your childs life is at stake.

P.S. any of you that might have comments about the % of deaths caused by pitbulls, or simply a "my pit is a teddybear" comment need to know that this is a topic that I will post personal experiences backed with graffic photos on. I don't care what you think about pitbulls, I don't care what you think about killing animals. If I see a pitbull anywhere near my house I will stand in my yard and wait to kill it.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
it doesn't matter the breed, it's all the upbringing and how the dog is raised.  I've seen vicious pit bulls and nice ones.  I've seen some violent chows and I've seen good ones.  A pit bull does have a more aggressive nature, but it is still something that must be encouraged during the animals upbringing instead of punishing it.

I agree w/ all the above comments.  Talk to him one more time to let him know that this is going to be the last warning, and next time you see the dog out and about, you are calling the cops.  Every town, city, county, has a leash law in effect for animals.  There is also laws for dangerous animals and if an animal attacks unprovoked, but hopefully you don't have to concern yourself w/ that.
Best of luck, but personally I wouldn't even give the dog my arm.  A loaded .22 is good enough to end it w/o the scaring.  I'm getting old and don't heal like I used to.

GiftedPlacebo

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to call and find out what laws we have in town for leashes etc. and then have a calm talk with the neighbor. We'll go from there.

There is always someone outside with the kids when they're playing, but that dog runs fast. We have a stun gun that I'll make sure my wife is carrying when she's home during the day, so at least she can tase the dog if it attacks again.

Thanks for the advice!

PaulMck

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:56:10 AM »
Im from the country and grew up on a farm, we shot dogs for anything and told the kids he got "lead poisoning". If you cant get anything done legally or by kicking that kids ass (which im a huge fan of) then i would catch the dog in your yard when know one is home or leave antifreeze in a bowl in your front yard at night. It sounds cruel, and dont get me wrong I love animals but i will also kill one in a heartbeat with no remorse and snap that kid and his whole families neck for anything that has to do with my kids safety

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution